Is being honest a good or a bad thing?

I'd like to know why is it that people say they want you to me honest, but when you call people out on something that isn't a good idea they are ready to be done with you? I have found that alot of times it's not a good idea to tell a friend what you really think if it puts them in a bad light. Why do they ask for your opinion? Is it because they want you to talk them out of their guilt?
@misheleen73 (6037)
boy, you've been the busy little beaver, haven't you.. so many questions, so little time.. lol. I just was told by my husband a few reality "check" type things just the other day. So I of course asked some of the people I work with what they thought. Here is my analysis: I am not afraid to give my opinion about anything and I pretty much have an opinion on everything, I am sarcastic (funny though), honest to a fault, quick witted and hot tempered. NOW, alot of those things I would not have thought about myself, but sometimes the truth is what you need to hear. I am always honest with people, but I tend to do it with a little tact. Instance: "do I look fat in this outfit?" (answer YES!! ) but I say something like "you know it's not your best outfit, I really like the red one better." So I AM being honest, just not rude !!
I guess some things jsut kind of fly out of my mouth. Then you cant take it back. I work with an older lady and we were at a meeting I was trying to actually listen. She kept going on and on about her eyeshadow. She was really getting on my last nerve. So finally I said to her it really doesn't matter what color you put on your lid because he top part of your eye droops down so low you cant see it anyway. It was true but it wasn't very nice. She has never forgotten it either!
@balasri (26553)
I am known to be a very rude person.But everybody likes me.It is the honesty that is misinterpreted.I don't care.I believe in honesty is the best policy always.it saves a lot of pain and relieves you of the guilty feeling.
Good for you! MY hubby says I speak with my heart not my head. I feel honesty is the best thing too. You know what drives me nuts is when people lie about really stupid stuff. Like at Easter someone brought a cocnut cake I could tell from one glance it wasn't home made and she blurts out that she was up late last night making it. I tend to lose respect for people when they lie. Makes me think if they will lie about a stupid thing whos to say they wouldnt lie about a BIg thing.