Stars, rewards, incentives, awards, prizes? Okay, let's vote about stars...

MyLot awards you with a star once you have hit your 100th or is it 101st post here. I'm going to give you a chance to vote on what you think me (runningman72) will be awarded. Will it be a 10? Perhaps and I hope so, but I'd be pretty happy with an 8 or 9 as well. I'm trying hard to do well here and follow the guidelines, so a 5 or 6 would be disappointing...not that those of you with those scores are bad or anything, but surely we all strive to be a 10 or close right?
@tammyr (5955)
• Etowah, Tennessee
Um let me guess... An 8! as in 84.100!!LOL I guess I got in on this a little late huh!
Better late than never haha. Regarding Lydia's post above, I guess we should all be singing "Don't worry...be happy." But then again, I have been told that I can't carry a tune in a bucket, so I sing in the car or shower.
@tammyr (5955)
• Etowah, Tennessee
I only sing in the car with the windows up. I can not carry a tune in 2 buckets!
That is so funny and cute. You and me both as I cannot carry a tune either. My bucket always seems to have a lot of holes in it or something.
@smacksman (6074)
I see youv'e got 74/100 so you will be an eight very soon, especially as I've just voted you .[+] haha I must say that I have not worried about this whole star thing especially as I write as I think and so sometimes I buck the trend of a topic. Do we all want to be 'yes men' here? Or do we want to have a discussion and air a variety of views? I think so, but by so doing, it can attract negative responses from fanatics.
You make a good point. Most of us like to contribute and be supportive and positive. If something really turns us off or we disagree, shouldn't we be able to vent a little or post a someone negative or response that disagrees without getting slammed? One user told me how she was really hit hard going from a 10 to 9 and she's not really even sure what she did or said to get the negative marks.
I'm sure it is staring me right in the face, but how do you tell what your rating is out of 100? If you have 74/100 or 98/100 & 99/100 as I've heard others do, then how exactly do you tell that? Thanks!
@mssnow (9493)
Ok thanks smacksman was wondering why I couldnt see my rating on firefox. Now i know why. Thanks
@Jennifer21 (2476)
Well, it looks to me as though you have a 7 right now. I guess keep trying, you'll get up there.
Yes, a lucky seven is better than a 13 hee hee. I bet if I keep on working then it'll go to a 5 or 6 maybe. Just kidding, but I appreciate everyone's nice comments and support. I've never found such as cool site as MyLot before, although I am a member of a good many programs. Keep remembering to rate positively and do best responses!
Well, perhaps you are right and it rounds up? I hit 100 with around 74/100 for a 7, but now have 76/100 and an 8. Maybe you had around 85.0 and they rounded down to a 7, and Jennifer had 85.4 or 85.9 and they rounded up like they did with me getting to an 8. Do we think too much? My wife and the lady I work with would say sometimes we worry about the trivial and petty things in life, so at least it gives us more stuff to talk about. Stop ROFL. (-:
@rosie_123 (6118)
It is actually quite rare for anyone to come in as a 10 as soon as they get their star. I came in as a 7 I think, and then fairly quickly went up. I would say you would come in as an 8 or 9, but then rise to a 10 very soon:-))
Oh boy. I was just doing some research and see that there are some folks who hit 100 and came in with a 1, so I guess I better take the advice I've been giving that it is just as important or more so to have fun than to worry or stress (which I'm not). Thought it'd be fun to vote though. Please don't think I'm being self-centered here.
@KarenO52 (2951)
Yes, this is fun. You had a good idea.
@mummymo (23707)
Well honey it is nice to have a high rating star I suppose but I would say that it is more important to go out there and enjoy yourself ratheer than worry about your rating! Having fun and making friends is the best bit about mylot - oh yeah and the community spirit - I would hate to decide what star to give anyone - we would all be 10's! lol xxx
You are exactly right on all of the above in my opinion. The whole reason for this discussion was for just the medicine you are presribing...fun!!! To me it is always neat to try and guess things, like what the winning lottery numbers will be, will the stock market go up or down and by how much, what is the price of tea in China, and you get my drift.
Maybe 9,i think.
I'll take a 9 as I'm stuck on a 7 right now, but I know that if I keep working hard and helping others, it will result in me being rewarded for my efforts.
@TerryZ (22083)
I hope its a 10 too. Its all according how many best responses youve gotten. You will find out real soon my friend. Best of luck
I always go back and make sure to give someone "best response," and I trust they do the same. But if that is what makes up most of the star rating, then I'm fearful that I haven't been voted that much. Everyone else gives such good responses that they deserve "best response" too. I also mark everything I can with a positive mostly and a negative only in a rare case when it is needed.
@stephcjh (32327)
I got my star after the 100th post and it was a 9 and I was very happy with that. I worked really hard to get it to a 10 and it is very hard to keep it there. I will voted and say you will end up with a 9 when you first start but I have only been friends with you for a short time and have only got the chance to rate a couple of your responses and discussions. You could possibly get a 10 if you did really well. I hope you do not start out under an 8 because I think you deserve higher. We all do strive for that 10 and I wish you all the luck in reaching and getting it.
You are a star. Thanks so much for your kinds words. I know you aren't trying to earn best response haha, but you definitely deserve it, as well as the 10 by your name. Keep up the great work Steph as you are a real gem.
@callarse1 (4793)
Howdy, well I would have guessed a 5, but it appears you have an 8. When I reached 100 I had a 2~. I was so surprised because I was giving good responses to the discussions and I couldn't understand why. It appears that you really know your stuff and that you are giving wonderful responses to discussions. Havre a nice day. Pablo
@aciddrop (798)
Mylot awarded me with an 8 star when i hit my 100th.i am sure we'll be the best soon since we all striving for 10:)
@mssnow (9493)
I gave you a plus. Looks like you started out a seven which really isn't bad. It could still go up. I went from a 3 to a nine then two months later I got my ten. Keep up your good work and you will be ten in no time. Good luck!!
@winterose (39918)
okay runningman, I vote you get a ten, a beautiful blue star.
@subha12 (18453)
i can see ur rating is 7. I think if u keep on posting good things u will son be achieving good rathings and all. its not a problem i think
@Lydia1901 (16354)
I think that all depends on how well people rated you. So, I won't guess at all because I have no clue whatsoever.
I agree that the ratings play into it, the length and quality of your discussions, and probably receiving the "best response" also factors into it. Someone told me how fun it is to watch your star change. For example, I came in with a 7 and slowly have risen to an 8. Others say not to worry about the star and just have fun on here.
@Lydia1901 (16354)
I think it is all about having fun and not worrying about it too much because it does change and sometimes it isn't for the best at all.
Worrying is a habit that leads to much increased stress for many of us. Despite the fact that they say less than 99% of what you worry about every comes to fruition, I have pretty much been an anal, perfectionist person all of my life. To much obsessive compulsive disorder is bad.
@KarenO52 (2951)
Ok, now I'm dying to know what you'll get. I didn't know anything about the star system. One day I just noticed that I had one. Mine was 8, and now it's nine, though I'm not sure how we are rated, except I know that they like responses that are more than one or two sentances. My vote for you would be for a 9. I don't want you to have a 10 yet, because then you wouldn't have the fun of seeing your star rating going up.
"I'm dying inside, and nobody knows it but me" to quote another song. Just playing with you, but yes, I'm anxious to know as well, but the suspense is worth waiting another hour or two don't you think, unless someone can convince me to get going again?
@KarenO52 (2951)
C'mon, hurryup, I want to go to bed now. Guess I'll just have to try and sleep with the suspense of not knowing.
Was going to suggest you go watch "The Runningman" movie. That'd give you a couple hours and when you come back, it'd be up there. Get ready, here I go!
@ossie16d (11827)
It is really hard to know how the star rating works actually, and all myLot have said that it is how the member is perceived by other members of myLot. This means that someone who is hell bent on being disagreeable can give anyone a negative rating for no apparent reason, and that will eventually drop their star rating. Alternatively, if someone is really kind and rates all of your discussions as a positive that will increase the star rating. Generally however I think most people get a 6-8 to start and then move on from there. I was already very active here on myLot when the star rating came in, so it didn't present any problem to me at all. In fact I personally take no notice of the star rating system at all, because if I like a discussion and can contribute to it, then I will respond. If on the other hand, I do not like the discussion, can add nothing to it or it simply does not appeal to me, then I will just ignore it. So, the star rating is not a factor in whether or not I will respond to a discussion. One of my friends had a star rating of about a 5, probably because he wasn't active and hadn't started too many discussions but I still responded to those he did start. For many people the star rating appears to be important, perhaps pride but in actual fact the member had very little control over their own star rating. As I said earlier, many factors can change it and for no apparent reason either. Good luck with yours and hopefully you will reach a 10 soon and stay that way for as long as you are an active myLot member. :)
Yes, the stars are very important to some people, but other users think that we should all just have fun and not worry so much about it. As Walt Disney would say, "When you wish upon a star..." You are a star in my book my friend. Thanks so much.
@patootie (3593)
Other than in the first few days when the 'new' stars were added to MyLot I don't think I have ever looked at them since ... I don't really think they mean anything do they .. do they change the way we are paid .. I'd give you a 10 .. :o)
Awww shucks, you are so kind my friend. I'd give you a 10 too, but it looks like you already have one and are well-deserving of that rating I must have. I always give out the +'s when I can and rarely any -'s, plus go back and select a best response for all of my discussions.
@slickcut (8141)
Hello runningman,,, I see no reason why you cannot be a 10,but it will take some time...I think your stars are earned by your ratings,people rate your discussions and you will get a star for however many + ratings you get..I could be wrong, but i think that is how it works...I am at a 9 now ,and i keep hoping to get a 10 soon,but it has not happened yet..I know if you keep answering questions and posting you will be a 9 for sure,because i am...but really i do hope we are both going to end up being a 10,we will try anyway...Good post and i will rate you a +.....
As the Disney song goes, "When you wish upon a star..." Okay, this is more fun that I ever imagined. Let's see. I bet you I'll come in somewhere between a 1 and a 10. If you can pick what my star will be, then maybe you should play the lottery soon. I've gotten into a solid habit of rating every single post that I can, and 99% of those positively, 1% negatively if I see something really rude or mean, and so far 0% as abuse. I also make sure to go back and mark "best response." I appreciate all of your comments, and also the positive ratings and giving me best response.
@miryam (6507)
i dont undertant very well.but not interest me.8 - 9 star,,,,for me are a same........
Everyone is given a number between 1 and 10 once you reach 100 posts. You have an 8 which is pretty good, especially for someone who has a slight language barrier. But you know at least two languages and I only know one. But we both love Italian (food especially)!!!
@brokentia (10396)
Most people when they start out, they start with a high number. As long as they have followed the rules or guidelines and have not gone around upsetting people....then I see no reason that one would not have a high star. Me...my star dropped in two days because I upset a person. Not that I was trying to! But...you upset the wrong person and your star can drop faster than a brick in water. So, here is to hoping you get a high star.