Why would you want to work for yourself?(if ever?)

@waynet (2650)
What's the main reason? Any benefits this future situation would create for you.
@Bizziebod (3526)
Hi, I work for myself, although it's only been six months since I started, I would certainly not look back. For the last 5 years I worked for one company and was well respected there with both staff and customers, last August this firm went bust and one of the directors started another company with some other people in the same field (powerboating) I was offered a position as I have extensive knowledge in this field, I was also offered 6 other posts from different companies, but I decided to stick with what I knew - how wrong I was, I now realised that I was only used as I had ownership of the database and they didn't want me going elsewhere. Unfortunately I found evidence of misdoing by the same director adding to the collapse of the other company which owed many people alot of money - suffice to say we fell out big style and I left. I've now gone into my own office business providing services to the small business and individual and I'm not doing too badly either. I'm not looking back, not only do you have the piece of mind that you are fully in control but you have a blank canvas for all your ideas. Go for it if you get the chance!
@waynet (2650)
Oh I am, I'm getting there in the area of the computer and the internet and am working on over 100+ free websites that I'm building, all serving a direct purpose to deliver either some of my art or other products and projects I am working on and just get myself known around the web, then just go from there really!
@Bizziebod (3526)
Good on you! I hope it goes well!
@waynet (2650)
Cheers!!, Me too!!?
@Jaytech (2251)
To take control over my own life, not having to answer to others (not that it bothers me) If only it were that easy to set ones self up in business. It's the usual obstacle of needing money to make money.
@waynet (2650)
I'm getting my business training partly funded, as I am working, I have to pay half of the costs, but if I wasn't working hmmm? I may get it all funded, now that's a thought...
@Jaytech (2251)
I don't actually need a lot of funding for what I have planned, but when you have nothing, even a small amount is difficult to get together
@waynet (2650)
Once I've exhausted my freebie collecting phase, I'll start to get my own website into shape as it a business of your own that could drive in some cash, I've already prepared some video art tutorials and some rough cut e-books, and it's these I need to finish really!! As with anything once you pay bills and all the other stuff I have at least £25 left and I'm working!! Sometimes I think working for other companies is a mugs game!!
@BarBaraPrz (19362)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
Actually, I used to work for myself. I did typesetting and illustration from my home. It's not all cakes and ale. It's more like feast or famine -- either everyone wants something yesterday or nobody knows you. That's not why I stopped having my own business, though. The rising popularity of home computers had a lot to do with it. A lot of my business was newsletters and journals, but when everybody and their dog started getting computers in the 80s, they also started doing their own newsletters. There were a couple other reasons, but I won't bore you with them.
@waynet (2650)
The more people that have computers now, the easier it is to diversify into the niche that you have to, sure you have your competitors but that is a reasonable challenge to defeat if you have the tools and the balls like I don't yet!!
@BunGirl (2639)
Why would anyone NOT want to work for themselves??? Get to set your own hours, no one to say you can't do things the way you want, and instead of making money for the Man and getting a little cut, you get the full profit of your efforts. Sounds like a good thing to me.
@Jaytech (2251)
I know plenty of people that don't want to, some folk just don't have leadership qualities or like the amount of responsibility that comes with self employment.
No crap from a boss? Your own working times and all the normal business perks? I actually am planning on re-starting a new web design company of course keeping my other. (which I now have very little to do with) Brings home to dough. Kudos, ~Joey