Do girls and young women turn into their mother?

@muscare (3069)
Australia
I'm sure you've heard the saying that, if you want to know what your girlfriend will be like in 20yrs time, just look at their mother. Do you think young women turn out to be just like their mums? My wife is petrified at the thought of turning out like her mother, and frankly, so am I. I wonder whether someone, if they can easily spot the reasons they don't want to be like their mum, can avoid doing so. I know of quite a few examples where a daughter is so much like their mum, it's uncanny. I just hope it's not true for everyone. Any thoughts on this matter would be appreciated.
@betchai (141)
It's true on me. I look like my mother now. I'm 36 years old and she's 58. We have the same body built.
@muscare (3069)
If you get along with your mum, that probably doesn't worry you. Some women are like best friends with their mum.
@biwasaki (1745)
I don't think that saying is true. Everyone has their own personality and quirks. I think if you see traits in another person that you don't want to have for yourself, you can avoid taking on those traits. There are lots of instances where women are just like their mothers, but I am sure there are just as many instances where the opposite is true. If your wife knows what she doesn't like about her mother's personality, I'm sure she'll be able to tell if she starts behaving in that way. If not, a gentle reminder from you would probably be enough to change her behavior.
@muscare (3069)
Thanks, at this stage, my wife is nothing like her mother, so she has avoided having nasty traits. I will take your advice, and give her gentle reminders, if the need arises.
@biwasaki (1745)
Thanks for the BR!!
@fawcey (928)
What about men turning out like their dads? I do not believe this either, as my husband is a wonderful caring helpful man, and even though I love his dad his dad does not really have these qualities. My husband always helps around the house and is a great dad who is there for our son, more so I think because his dad was not. I think we can make sure we do things different to our parents and if it is something we disliked in their personality then I think we are more likely not to become them or at least act in the ways we hated. I think we try extra hard to make sure we do not act or treat our kids or others in the ways we ourselves disliked as a child, I hope I nver turn into my mum. I would do anything and everything to make sure this does not happen, and would listen to little reminders if my husband thought I was in anyway acting like her.
@muscare (3069)
I agree that we all know what qualities we like or dislike in our parents, and as long as the person can recognise when they are doing the same sorts of things, than they can change them.Of course, gentle little reminders shouldn't go astray either!
@Augustta (1860)
• Poland
Looking at my mother i will be happy that saying to be true...she is still a beautiful lady... My boyfriend use to say all those also and he was really interesed how my mom looks at begining..lol! I think is true because a girl will have her mom body and her dad brain... augusta
@muscare (3069)
Ha, that's good, I don't mind at all if my wife ends up with her mother's bod, and her dad's brain. That's the one thing my mother in law has going for her. Mmm, come to think of it, my wife already has her mother's body and dad's mind.
yes they are likely and even i have heard my partner telling me that i resemble my mom in everything i do .i believe its due tot eh following reasons 1. moms are the first teachers for their daughters 2. they teach them many things in life 3.so whatever girls do, they are being groomed by moms and hence resemble them in their acts
@muscare (3069)
Thanks for your comments. Maybe that's why my wife may not turn out like her mother, because her mother wasn't a natural teacher for the important stuff. She only really did stuff out of obligation as a parent, then made sure her kids knew about it. My wife is very different at this stage, so let's hope it stays that way!
@KarenO52 (2951)
We all get 50% of our genes from our mother, and the other 50% from our father. So we'll have some traits of both. I feel that I've always been more like my dad, but I have eyes like Mom, only brown like Dads. My hair is the same color as Dad's but wavy like Moms. I inherited Mom's migraines, but not her body type or personality. I passed the migraines on to my daughter, and one of my sons. My children also have my eyes, but they all have my husband's math ability. Sometimes children will have recessive traits showing up and wind up with completely different characteristics than their parents.
@muscare (3069)
Thanks for your comments, and I think my wife is more like her father, in the respect that she is warm and loving. If she only keeps the few nice traits from her family, what few there are, then that won't be too bad. Thankfully, though, she seems like the different one in the family, and I mean that in a good way.
yes.majority i see are like that and even i have heard my partner telling me that am like my mom in many things which i do. Mothers teach daughters many things in their life they are first teachers to their daughters and they grow up similar to their mothers and resemble them in everything they do thats the reason i believe