How do you keep track of your receipts?

My hubby just started a second job where we have to keep track of his mileage and our gas receipts caues we can use them as a tax write off. My question is what is the best way to keep track of his mileage and his gas receipts? Do you have a notebook in the car that you write your mileage on or should I buy one of those little books where you can record your mileage in it? Most of the time he forgets to get the gas receipt from the gas station. Any suggestions on how to get him to remember? We've never had to do this before so I've never kept any receipts for gas or cared about tracking my mileage.
@creematee (2810)
One way to remember the receipt is to pay at the pump. I know not all gas stations have this option, but it has helped me keep track of the gas expense. I keep a small notebook in the car also. I keep track of the before/end mileage. How much gas and the $ amount/gal. Once a month, (more likely when I remember) I take the info and put it into an excel spreadsheet on the computer. Makes it easier to find at tax time. :) Good luck with your deductions!
I have excel on my computer. I will definitely have to start new spread sheet for that. My hubby will love that its all on the computer so that he can do it and actually have his writings readable unlike his handwriting. *haha*
@creematee (2810)
Well, thank you for the BR. :) I do think you hubby will enjoy the chore of saving receipts if he knew it lead to computer time. LOL!!!
@Stephanie5 (2953)
I bought one of those accordian type file folders and labeled each one with the months. Then when I get the receipt, I write the mileage on the bottom. And I kept a little notebook in the folder also to keep track of the mileage. My husband puts the folder up on the dash and it helps him to remember to do these things. I hope this helped! Good Luck!
Thanks! I might try that. I bought one of those for my mother in law cause she has her own business so she was constantly trying to sort out her receipts without any luck!
@KissThis (3008)
I always kept a little notebook in the glove compartment of the vehicle I was using. At the end of each month I would transfer the information into a file in the filing cabinet.
@Lydia1901 (16354)
I think that book would help or you can just get a folder and try to put them in there. I think that could work too.