Boosting a child self esteem

@kitkat1 (1227)
My daughter is so down on herself because she feels she has no friends and nothing to offer them if she did. She is not confident at all. I praise her for all the good grades and tell her how well she can do things stuff like that. But the problem is that doesnt seem to help. She thinks that i just say that stuff because i am her mom and i am suppose too not because i truly believe it. She is only 10 what can i do to help her boost her self esteem.
@pilbara (1436)
I think an increase in self esteem often has to come from others, as she says she thinks you are only praising her because you're her mum. Do you know others who could do this who are less connected to her? The other possibility is can you think of anything that she could do that she is likely to do well at e.g. a sport, dancing, some kind of competition, or a hobby. A friend of mine had a daughter who took up art as a hobby and then started entering her work in the local festivals and so on and she won a number of ribbons and quite a few people praised her work.
@kitkat1 (1227)
Thank you very much. Those are very good ideas and believe me i will try them all. She is my only daughter and the youngest and when i see her going throught this well it just tears at my heart. She is a really sweet child and has alot to offer. Sometimes even though i no i cant i just want to give her freinds a good shake when they tease and taught her and put her down. If is not like she deserves it she is so eager to please all of her so called friends cause she feels she has noone and no one really cares. I will have to let you know how your ideas help cause i am sure that they will and thanks again.
That is exactly right the parent can facilitate it but not do it. This is how we grow in confidence.
@kathy77 (7488)
Oh your poor daughter it is dreadful when the children feel like this as my youngest daughter felt the same when she was around the age of 10 what I had to do was to help her get involved in some sporting activites so that she would be able to mix with the other children outside of the school yard as some other children can find it difficult to cope when they do not have any friends and one by one they became her friend now that she is 25 this particular daughter has so many friends that it is hard to get hold of her but at least she is happy so I hope by your daughter being able to meet other children with some sort of sport or girl guides or something of this nature that this could help her.
I think you need to make sure she gets opportunities to blossom. I would arrange some time with others her age to do things she likes to do. In this she will find friends and learn she excells and get confidence.
@mofelorn (611)
I think there's something wrong with her. I don't mean she is mentally ill. She really needs a special care and attention. Just go to a child phsycologist so that her problem will be solved. They deal with the unconcious matter of the mind.