Need a different twist on "birthday cake"?

Ok, I posted a while back on what others might serve for birthday cake and got a ton of great ideas!Below is the recipe from Rachael Ray for her brownie bites that she created for a birthday party. I made them as a treat for us to celebrate our new puppie Charlies homecoming and instead of happy birthday on the bites I put Welcome Home Charlie! LOL Had to share the idea: Brownie Bites Sarah Copeland From Every Day with Rachael Ray April 2007 MAKES FOUR DOZEN Prep Time: 15 min(plus chilling) Bake Time: 50 min 2 sticks (8 ounces) unsalted butter 8 ounces unsweetened chocolate, cut into small pieces 2 1/4 cups sugar 4 large eggs, at room temperature 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract 1 cup flour 1/2 teaspoon salt 4 ounces chocolate chips 1/3 cup canned unsweetened coconut milk 1 tube store-bought decorating icing 1. Preheat the oven to 350°. Line an 8-inch square baking pan with enough foil to let flaps hang over two sides; grease the foil. 2. In a double boiler, melt together the butter and unsweetened chocolate, stirring occasionally. Let cool slightly, then beat in the sugar, eggs and vanilla with a wooden spoon until glossy. Stir in the flour and salt. Spread the batter evenly in the prepared pan and bake until the top cracks and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out moist, about 50 minutes. Let cool. 3. Meanwhile, place the chocolate chips in a medium bowl. In a small saucepan, bring the coconut milk to a simmer. Pour the coconut milk over the chocolate chips and let stand for 5 minutes, then whisk until smooth. Pour the warm glaze over the cooled brownies and tilt the pan to coat evenly. Refrigerate until the glaze is set, about 2 hours. Using the foil flaps, gently remove the chilled brownies from the pan and cut into 1-inch squares. Decorate the Brownie Bites with the icing.
@Idlewild (6105)
That's a great idea, especially with the letters on the brownie bites. A couple of people Iknow are Scrabble fans, and this wouldbe perfect for them. Especially if the bites spelled out something other than Happy Birthday and were mixed up, and the person had to unscramble the message.
Great idea! You could even cover a piece of cardboard with foil and create a "scrabble board" with the words spelling out Happy Birthday and their name! And a "semi-homemade" style of this.... buy the Hostess brownie bites or a local store that carries their own brownie bites, purchase a tube of frosting and create your own birthday message on them! No baking, fairly cheap, and definitely different!
@prestocaro (1254)
What a great idea! I'm a total food network addict. I'll leave it on for background noise any time of day. I watch good eats regularly. I must admit, Rachael Ray has some great ideas as well. I'm not really a fan of her -- I find her voice grating and it seems like she's always sort of yelling because she's in such a hurry -- but she has an excellent head for new ideas. Also, the rachael ray drinking game makes her show much more watchable, lol. These brownie bites look like so much fun! And good for many occaisions, just like you said. Good luck with the new pup. Charlie is an adorable name :)
Oh I hear you!!! My tv is always on either Versus (sports), Food Network or a local station for news and that's about it. LOL If I could buy just the ones I'd watch, I'd get off cheap!
@suscan (1959)
What a great idea. I love brownies. Rachel Ray has so many good ideas. When we were younger my Grandmother always made us an upside down cake. We always had our choice of pineapple or peach,they were so different from the usual cake. I have never been a success at making them. But I love this mini brownie idea. Thanks for sharing.!
And as I said.. if you can't bake them or don't have time... just purchase the brownie bites in the store and decorate those! My gram used to make an awesome pineapple upside down cake too! I miss those!
I prefer brownies over cake so I'm definitely gonna have to try this recipe. Thanks for sharing.
Me too! Brownies any day! LOL
@brimia (6588)
That's a really cute idea.
@KissThis (3008)
The next occasion that we have I will be trying this recipe. Thanks for sharing. It is a wonderful idea.