Good and Evil: Facade or Universal Truth?

Singapore
We are brought up to believe in good and evil. That the good always triumph and evil always get their just deserve. But what if it's all in our heads? Some believes teach that good and evil are just human concepts. They are important concepts, no doubt, controlling the balance of our society and keeping us safe. But ultimately they are nothing but perceived notions It disturbs me to think this way, what of all the victims of senseless violence, wars and hatred? But it also strikes me deep that we are all able to switch from extreme evil to divine goodness, just by changing our minds. What do you think?
@dickkell (403)
The fact tht you can ask such a question points to an ultimate truth to which we are drawn like moths to a flame. What we call good and evil changes with our culture, but there are certain standards that exist in every longstanding, healthy culture, such as the prohibition against the murder of innocents, and prohibitions against theft, and respect for people. These point to a greater good, compelling us against our more base natures, toward love. Will good win - that depends entirely on whether good men and women will stand for it. Evil triumphs when good men do nothing. It IS a struggle, both within ourselves to conquor our own souls, and also within societies to see justice, truth, and love prevail.
@dickkell (403)
Ultimate truth is nothing if it is not personal truth as well. Its all well and good to say that the world is composed of atoms, but in reality that truth is fairly useless to most of us. We don't internalize it to see the oneness of all created things, or to see the common destiny of all matter, or any of the other truths that spring from this one. Unless we use truth to impact our lives it doesn't matter whether it's true or not. Our actions do not determine what's true, but they do determine which truths will be remembered tomorrow.
If I understand you correctly dickkell, you seem to define ultimate truth as a collective of personal truths. This is a new view point for me, as I normally see it as one or the other. Have I understood you correctly?
@dickkell (403)
A universal truth is true whether I belive it or act on it or simply ignore it. It is independent of me. The universe is made of atoms. That's true no matter what I think about it. However, that truth, while remaining true, can be lost to humanity. The ancients imagined atomic theory, but the truth was lost for centuries before someone decided to do something with it. I'm purposely staying on a "safe" truth, but it is applicable to all truth. It's possible for us to lose awareness of a truth, for it to fall out of favor or even be opposed, but the truth is true in itself, and does not need our approval. One of the great errors of our time is the idea that somehow what I believe is true for me. Truth exists external of our minds, and our minds are designed to percieve and interpret truth. We do not create truth. If a person held firmly that the sun was a large candle, no amount of argument or debate or evidence would ever make the sun a candle. The sun is an independant truth, and if I called it the moon, or a mass hallucenation, or anything other than the sun, then the Truth remains unchanged, but my thoughts are not conformed to the truth. This is insanity. It's the same as the person who hears voices or believes the government is wiretapping their brain. Truth exists external and independent of humanity. Living our lives in conformity with this universal truth, taking this truth as our own personal truth, is nothing more than simple sanity. Unfortunately there are many insane people today.