Children & Sharing

My child is really having a hard time catching on to this sharing thing. Let me explain, I have 2 kids, a 5 year old girl and my son is 22 months.. well, my son is handicapped and has his own special toys which she is not interested in and of course he is unable to play with her things. So she hasn't had to share her things at home, so when she started pre-school, she has a late birhday and just missed cutoff for kindergarten, she started having sharing problems. She doesn't view it as sharing, she thinks people are just taking her stuff and won't give it back. The school called me to say that she would go as far as hiding a toy just so the other child could'nt have it. Has anyone ever dealt with this kind of thing and if so any suggestions?
Kids as old as your daughter are really capable of understanding a lot of things, provided you make them interesting and worth their while. If you try to wax eloquent on the need to share with others, they might just tune you out. Instead, try explaining to her that she too will have more toys, especially different toys to play with, if she plays with somebody else's toys while she allows someone else to play with her toys. She ought to be able to see the reason and would soon learn to share. It should be a breeze. All the very best and God Bless!
You make a good point, thanks.
@KissThis (3006)
I use to send my son with a couple of toys. One for him to play with and another for a friend to play with. I explained that if he shared some of his toys that other children would share their toys so that they would have more toyys to play with. I also let him know that all he had to do was ask the child for the toy back when they were done playing with it so that he could put them away to bring home. As long as you talk to your child in simple terms they will understand. Sometimes they are just worried about losing a favorite toy.
yeah, that's her problem, she thinks that if they take it they must be keeping it. Thanks, I'm glad you didn't have much of a problem.
@KissThis (3006)
Thanks for best repsonse.
I've dealt with this when i've helped baby sit, and of course when I was a child. My brother as a child once stomped on and broke one of my toys, simply because the one he had was accidentally messed up (by him) while his action was out of greed and jealousy, it still counts as not wanting to share. He's almost thirty and still has sharing issues. 0.6