How to impress your inlaws...

Step One Treat your spouse well. Nothing pleases parents more than knowing that their son or daughter is being well-loved and cared for. Step Two Present a united front. Never squabble with your spouse in front of his or her parents. If you think hot issues may come up, discuss how you will deal with them ahead of time. Step Three Contact them without waiting for them to contact you, and invite them over before they invite themselves. This allows you to get your home ready and to prepare yourself emotionally for a visit on your own terms. Step Four Ask their advice, regardless of whether or not you plan to take it. Your spouse's parents will be glad to feel that they still have some influence on their child's life. Step Five Be creative. If it bothers you that your mother-in-law always tries to do your dishes after dinner, offer her another task, such as serving coffee or playing with the baby. Step Six If you and your in-laws are completely incompatible, just handle it as gracefully as possible, avoid contact whenever you can, and remember that even if you will never love your in-laws, they did something wonderful when they created your spouse. Avoid confrontations with your in-laws. Try to let criticism or differences of opinion wash over you. Try to get along well with your in-laws, but don't let them take over. This can be especially important when grandchildren arrive. Set reasonable ground rules for everyone in the family. Begin making your own cherished family holiday traditions at home, especially if family holidays become a tug-of-war about whose family to visit and it isn't possible to visit both. Or go out of town and enjoy the holidays in an entirely different way. I have tried these tips with my inlaws and, most of the time, these tips work. Although my mother in law is very difficult to get along with, she knows I am a good wife to her son. So, do you get along with your inlaws? Tell all.
These are good tips. I always ask my mother in law for advice. Not that I always use it but it does make her feel better. My mother in law used to hate me when my hubby and I were dating. She thought I was gonna leave him high and dry since I was a stay at home mom. I did work for several months after my baby was born in another state but when I moved here I couldn't find a decent babysitter so it came down to me staying home. We get along great now, don't get me wrong we still have our days where we have our tiffs but its nothing like it used to be where she made it very clear she hated me. Another thing that helps is allow your in laws to spend time with your kids and let you know that you trust them with your kids. This will help build a stonger relationship.
@sarah22 (3981)
i like your steps, but when one is in a relationship, you should be yourself and not what you want your in laws to see. yes, dont argue infront of them but also dont let it look like you do every thing he wants or the other way around. i like my in laws but i too let them know if i am not happy with something. they either take it or leave. there are times when she tries to say things about the kids or hint how we should be but i let it go with a pinch of salt. we know what we are doing or else we would not have gotten married and had kids.