computer slowdown

My computer is really slow. I'm planning to buy another one but i would like to ask what causes a slowdown. Is it because of the processor or the hard drive?
@lrajnish (171)
your computer might slow down due to various reasons.. 1. Virus in your pc 2. Bios setting... (check if u have disabled external or internal cache) 3. check your system restore... (disable it, then restart ur pc and then re enable it) 4. Scandisk your harddisk and defrag it after that 5. DO NOT OVERCLOCK UR PROCESSOR. IT WILL BURN OUT FASTER try all the tricks i have told u and see the difference if not then just re format ur pc again and everything will be fine... also consider of upgrading ram to min of 256 mb
How do I check my BIOS?
@cnetboss (2477)
try "cleaning" your harddrive first. Use CCCleaner, Defrag to clean "useless" files that crowds your PC
I already have a defragmenter. My cpu has reached its lifetime. I searched for socket A AMDs in my area but found none. Fortunately there are still on the net and I've found brand new ones at $20. Now I don't need to buy another mobo and new rams.
@sellj75 (208)
Your processor and memory will have a lot to do with how slow your computer runs. Even though it may have been fast when you first got it, what kind of programs were you running then compared to now. A lot of the new programs use more memory and cause the computer to slow down more. The other listings on here are really great advice as well. As far as building one, its not very hard. I'm almost finished building a new AMD Sempron. I'd be done if I hadn't run out of mony before things to buy:)
How much have you spent so far?
@seenoreen (562)
with your computer's specifications, you would need to upgrade your processor and add more RAM. about 512MB would be a great help if you don't want to upgrade your processor right now. If you plan to upgrade your processor, I suggest you do not buy any more RAM because they will be useless. Buying a new processor requires a new motherboard and different type of RAM as well.
Crap. That means buying another motherboard.
@macubx (11433)
Optional: Try Overclocking your processor (if you know how or if you know someone) Try This: -Format your HD Un-Defragmented HD, HD with lots of file will cause some lag(these are the softwares installed, running) -Add another 128 RAM - RAM now are cheap -Install Win98 instead of XP -Greatly increase your Virtual Memory -Read some of my tutorials posted...
I always defragment my HD. I can't install win98. Some important software I use will only run with XP. I'm thinking of just upgrading the processor with an Intel dual core and leave the rest intact. Would that be okay?
@cuteboy (171)
Check ur system harddrive for any viruses...They are the real culprits which may slow down the comp.....And also check that c drive is not too much loaded...with programmes.. If all the things are right ...then the processor is some what old..I mean it has somewhat slow processing speed... Check ...and correct... Have a nice time..
I am careful enough not to allow viruses and malwares. My computer, old as it is, is multi-fortified. Like a medieval fortress! lol
@blessonje (1652)
mostly processor...wat abt the ram?
128 MB.
@jaypee2k6 (304)
you might have spywares on your computer or you might need to upgrade your memory
I'm really good at that. I have less than a dozen anti-spywares. Plus an anti-virus and firewall that are all up to date.
i wud suggest u to buy a new processor...bcoz harddisk cannot cause a slowdown...
Even if it's old? My HD doesn't have any errors, though. So maybe you're right.
@zubair439 (3188)
the reason behind that is ur processor is very slow.... 700 AMD
But when I first bought it was really fast.
@y2ksuprio (850)
their are thousands of reasons why does a computer slow down.at frist could u give me ur computer configuration then i can tell u.
700 AMD, 128 MB Ram, less than 20 GB Hard disk. It's 5 years old (or older since I don't buy brand news). It's really slow but it's still okay. But I'm planning to assemble my own and maybe I can just replace either the hard drive or processor? It's actually noisy when it's busy. So could that be just the hard drive? I'm also planning to overclock the processor.
@cnetboss (2477)
I think u can increase your RAM memory size. If ur processor is Pentium III then 256MB is the maximum capacity.
@kittu007 (946)
Same with me....
hard drive remove register files unwanted using reg cleaner softwares
@xxxtreme (321)
i agree
@J_peso (2434)
prolly u have too many prgs running or its justall of them anti spywares n antiviruses runnin.........Formatting the system would be an option you could consider:) usually slow down due to age takes longer"_"
@ahalapia (946)
You could go to this website a run a free scan it will tell you everything thats running and what you can take out to make your computer run faster. It even offers online forums to help you if need be. www.pcpitstop.com
I've read all the comments. So im skipping to this. I've built alot of computers. I can say without the monitor, keyboard and mouse. You can build one for about $350-$500. You can get a case about $30 or less get an ASUS mobo or PC CHIP mobo asus is better but more money into it pc chips do well and much cheaper Get AMD SEMPRON 2800+ or higher, chances are you can find at a computer store that have both mobo and processor together for a better deal. get 512MB which is around $60 or less. try newegg.com or ebay keep your hard drive and/or get a new one and use the old for just plain data/back up most of the mobo's video is fine, but if you do watch or do anything with graphics, get a video card, radeon or nvidia around $45 max, don't need anything higher than that and for dvd+rw are cheap now a days.
Some stores here sell brand new computers for less than $500.