Where you live do you have crazy watering restrictions, & how do you deal with?

My brother just called me complaining because he lives in Georgia and they are only allowed to use outdoor watering for 3 days a week, and then only from Midnight until 10 AM ! That works okay if you have an automatic sprinkler system with a timer, but not if you don't. Do you have any such wild restrictions on outdoor watering where you live, and if so, how do you feel about this? What can a person do? I understand that the government has to restrict things when we are in a drought, but do our lawns and flowers just resemble the mantra of winter year-round, or is there hope?
@cynddvs (2950)
My mom is going through this right now. She lives in Florida and they get all their fresh water from Lake Okeechobee. Apparently it's getting low so they have been put on restrictions. My mom has been very aggrivated by this because she just bought her house and is trying to get her lawn to look nice. She can't work on it during the week because she works a lot. So her entire weekends are spent taking care of her lawn. My dad also goes through this and has been going through it for quite some time. But he lives in Phoenix so I guess that's just a regular thing to them. He has absolutely no grass in his yard. And if anyone has been to Phoenix and looked around the neighborhoods you'll notice not many people have grass in their yards, instead it's rocks. I remember thinking that was the craziest thing in the world.
@Shaun72 (15968)
• Palatka, Florida
I understand your mom I like here in Florida also. It is something else. I live in Palatka so that's not to far from Lake Okeechobee.
Oh my gosh yes I can relate to that. We are putting our house on the market to sell, and so we would like to have that nice, lush, perfect green lawn like on the movie "Cinderalla Story," but then again we do not want to get a citation if we got caught watering during the restrictions, so we just refrain from it. Guess we could tell the home buyers to look around, that everyone is in the same boat (boat? bad choice of words...there has to be water for that right)! I hear the Colorado River basin is drying up, so if there really is Global Warming, then I guess things will fill back up with water as glaciers melt.
We usually get quite a lot of rain here in Ireland so there are never too many water restrictions. We have just had four weeks without rain and our water pressure was reduced during the day time. That meant we couldn't use washing machines or dishwashers as there wouldn't be enough pressure. If we get a lot of fine weather then a hose pipe ban will be put in place and water will often be turned off during the day. I usually keep a couple of rain barrels under the drainpipes coming down from my roof and I use this water to water my plants in the Summer.
@mummymo (23707)
does that include Galway? I think that is the wettest place I have ever been - every time I've been there it rained!
@mummymo (23707)
Hi honey - I am pleased that here in Scotland we do not have many restrictions - although south of the border in England they regularly have hosepipe bans in summer! I am so glad it does not happen to us - my kids love playing with the water hose!
Earlier today I read that Scotland is such a nice place to visit, and now you are saying that there are not many restrictions, so I really need to come and visit sometime!
@mummymo (23707)
It really is a wonderful place to live - even if we do complain sometimes! There is loads of history and everything you need - you should visit!
@brokentia (10396)
I don't think I live in an area that has water restrictions right now. But I have and it was very confusing! It was something about if you house was an even number, you would water on these days...but if you were an odd number, you could water on these days. But everyone was not allowed to water on a certain day and watering could only be done between certain hours also. And each time that I moved...the rules changed and I go so confused as to when we could water and when we couldn't. And even though I understand that we need to restrict out water usage...doesn't having healthy plants, grass and trees play in the part of reducing carbon in the air that is causing the Greenhouse Effect? I mean, they breathe CO2 and we breathe the oxygen that planets dispel. So, it seems that we would want to keep our plants alive and well during those months that we are able. Studies have shown that the carbon levels that contribute to the Greenhouse Effect rise during the winter season...when plants are dormant. Although I would want to respect the restrictions if we had them...I would also want to keep my plants and trees strong!
@emeraldisle (13145)
That sounds like the lovely Florida water restrictions that I know so well or I should say as well as anyone can. It gets so confusing. Sometimes it's by odds and evens but other times it was set for one side of roads or the other, north, south, east or west. It's only a few hours in the morning and some at night and only two days a week. Of course if you have new plants you can water those every day. I know many people who get around it with that by putting in several plants all over the yard so they can run the sprinklers for them. Some just don't care and water when they want. It would help though if some would realize they don't need to water their yards every day for an hour with the sprinklers. Most over water them as it is and if they didn't we might not end up with the restrictions.
@brokentia (10396)
Ahh!!! Your very right there! There probably would not be so many restrictions of people did not OVER water. And I have seen those also. Quite sad! And I completely forgot about the north, south, east, west thing. ha ha Yes, that did add more to the confusion! :)
@14missy (3185)
In Australia we are in the middle of a pretty bad drought and some places are not allowed to water at all or even use a bucket to wash their cars! Thankfully in my state it hasn't got that bad but if there isn't a decent amount of rain soon, we may be on restrictions too.
My wife would probably really be upset if we couldn't wash our vehicles at least every other month or so. I do take them to the carwash occasionally. The harder part is not being able to water the lawn or garden like we should. I guess having water to drink is a lot more paramount in the grand scheme of things anyway since you can only live for like 3 days without it if you're lucky!
Most, if not all of Australia are on some level of water restrictions presently. I'm currently on level 3 water restrictions. This involves watering your garden two days a week either with a bucket, watering can, a hose fitted with a trigger nozzle between 6 and 8am. If you are over 70 it is still only two days but between 6am and 10am. You can only wash your windows and mirrors of your car using a bucket at home. We have dealt with it in a couple of ways. Firstly we put a plug in our shower and save the water from that then bucket it out and then tip it on the plants when it is cool. The other thing we have done is run a hose from the piping of our laundry sink and lead it into an old plastic rubbish bin. We then can also use this on our garden. Admidtely it is all quite time consuming and a bit of work, but at the end of the day if you want virtually any kind of garden this is the kind of thing you need to look at here. I don't anticipate it ever really getting better here either. So the sooner people adjust here the better really.
Australia sounds like such a beautiful place that I would just love to visit it one day or week or month or year! As far as water goes, it seems that most of us could do a better job of preserving our resources. That is a good idea to save the water and use it like that. I should try.
@marlyse (1056)
yes i live with water restrictions presently here in switzerland. the month of april was the driest month since they are measuring. we havde temperatures like in the hot summer days and its supposed to be spring here. the problem is, all is dry and dangerous because of open fires. we had not enough snow this winter to cover the needed water resources, it didnt rain enough, so the rivers are to dry too. we are not allowed to water outside, ir its not urgently needed. we need permissions to do it
@palonghorn (5485)
I've lived where there was watering restrictions, and ya just deal with it. I've been on both sides of the fence so to speak.....worrying about my yard, there are other ways to keep a yard looking nice, and on the wildland firefighting side of it, hoping we could find a water source in the middle of a drought, to put fires out before they could reach any structures or do too much damage. And after having been on both sides of that fence....believe me I'll deal with no flowers and watering my grass when they say too, unless you have to sleep those hours, you can still water your yard enough to keep it looking nice.
@sweetdesign (5151)
i live in FL and here JEA Suggests that you only water 2 days a week but they do not enforce it. I have new sod so I have to water every day or it will die. Fortunately we are getting a new irrigation system installed (our ex renters destroyed ours) and I won't have to keep moving the sprinkler anymore and the yard will get a more even watering. You would think with all the fires in GA that they would want you to keep everything moist. We get the smoke from those fires here in Jax. I had a freind who lived in Sparks NV who didn't have a water bill cause they encouraged you to water the lawn frequently there cause of fires.
@feralwoman (2199)
We certainly have some bizzare restrictions here in Oz. Let's see if I can get my head round what's going on ... OK, you can't use automatic sprinklers ever. You can only use a hose with a trigger nozzle on it. You can only water on Sundays and Wednesdays between 6am - 8am. There is a helicopter that flies around the area where we live and they assess how green your property is! If it's considered too green then you get your water pressure reduced - which is really stupid, because what are you supposed to do if there's a bushfire? Fortunately most of our garden plants are drought tolerant. Others in pots have to be watered with the contents of my hot water bottle, dirty dog water and anything else I can find! lol
@Denmarkguy (1845)
When I lived in Texas we had all sorts of watering restrictions during summer months. It was especially true if rain had been scarce for a while, and people would even get tickets for watering when then the city would shift from "voluntary" to "mandatory" watering restrictions. As I recall, we could water with sprinklers every five days-- depending on the last two digits of our street number. Watering with a hose (which a person was holding) was OK before a certain time in the morning (9:00am, as I recall) and then you could resume watering in the evening. I don't remember water restrictions during the winter months. Now I live in western Washington, and I haven't see water restrictions here, even though the town I live in only gets 18-20" of rain a year.
@slickcut (8141)
I do not have water restictions where i am living now.The ones that know me,know that right now i am not living in my home.My husband and I are here in this town temporally,so he can get medical help.Here where we are we are on a well..At home near Houston Tx,we live in a small community and our little town owns our own water well,so we do not have restrictions there either.Im sure that it is a hassle to have to be rationed water...
I am not aware of such restrictions in our area. Is there hope? That is a good question.
@sigma77 (5385)
There are no watering rescrictions here in Michgan yet. Then again it hasn't been warm enough to matter. I am sure if we don't get enough rain over the summer months, some kind of restrictions might be imposed. In areas where water is becoming scarcer, you can expect restrictions on its usage. The country as a whole is facing a dwindling fresh water supply. This could be just the beginning of a water shortage which will be far more severe than any energy shortage.
@Dana5881 (609)
We did have some restrictions a while ago when we were going through a very dry period but right now we don't however we are told to conservate the water as much as possible and only water the lawn every other day and such. I think it is good to have water restrictions especially if there is a drought.
@Shaun72 (15968)
• Palatka, Florida
Yes Florida has this rule too. Whwn are water supply is short. Which I think it crazy. I mean kids like to have water to play in in this hot weather. At the same time we need to not waste it if it is so short it's because of the hot weather down here in Florida and in Georgia.
@Lakota12 (42681)
FOr the 8 years I been here we can only water 3 days a week and like us to use desert landscaping but this place we bought has 3 trees.and we have some grass it has learned to live with 3 days of watering.In the winter time we only can water 1 day a week makes it hard on some plants
@KarenO52 (2951)
I couldn't live with water restrictions. There's been a few years when we would have a drought in the summer, but we didn't run out of water. We have a well that supplies all of our water, and so far it's worked pretty good.
@Blazing15 (333)
We have never had any restrictions on water usuage. Well once when it was a major flood but other than that no. I can't believe that they are restricted from using it after 10am and then only three times a week come on who is up watering at midnight.
In south east Queensland Australia where I live we are in one of the worst droughts in 100 years. We are on level 5 water restrictions. Meaning no outside hose water use. Bucket watering only allowed for 2 hours 3 days a week. Council is even recommending 4 minute showers. If we use too much water we are sent a “Please explain” The only greenery in my yard is the weeds. I have buckets in the showers & a watering can in the kitchen to collect the “grey water” to water the few roses & vegetable I have growing. Being in a rental property I am unable to purchase a water tank or transfer any of the pipes for a better grey water system. Some owners have elaborate watering systems for their grey water.
"Please explain" this concept of grey water. Is it because the ground is muddy and colored grey, so that the water is grey. Surely it doesn't fall from the heavens that color or come out of the sink that way? Here it would be rusty orange or red due to rust in the pipes, or red clay in the ground.
Grey water is household waste-water from the bathroom, hand basin, shower, and laundry. We have buckets in our showers to collect water that does not go down the drain. I also have a watering container I keep in the kitchen for waste water eg, water from washing the vegatables or from left over drinks of water ect.