Do Any of You Suffer from Allergies?

@SheliaLee (2738)
This is a bad time of year for people with allergies. I'm just wondering how do you deal with them? I take an allergy shot about once every two weeks. If they get to bothering me bad enough I'll get a prescription for Allegra because that has helped me in the past. Do any of you take allergy shots, just use medication, prescription or over the counter, or have to just suffer with them?
Over the counter Claritin worked somewhat well for me. But when my doctor prescribed Zyrtec, oh, it worked so great! Unfortunately, I can no longer afford to have that filled, so I looked for a natural way to treat my allergies. After some research, I started taking one 1000mg of Vitamin C a day, along with two 100mcg of Grape Seed Extract. After two weeks of taking it, I noticed my allergies were under control. Some days are bad and I will take a generic Claritin, but most days it is under control with just the Vitamin C and extract. Some more tips to help allergies are to avoid eating dairy at night, wash your hair at night, drink mega loads of water, and vacuum your car out once a week. I never thought about it, but washing your hair at night would get all the pollen and allergens out so that when you slept, you wouldn't inhale them.
@SheliaLee (2738)
Wow, that is some great advice. I've never thought of either of those things. I've taken Vitamin C for other things before but didn't realize it will help allergies. Thanks so much for the information. You mentioned Claritin and Zyrtec. I have tried both of those and they worked fairly well but Allegra has always worked best for me. But any of those medications I have to take at night because they make me so sleepy I can't stay awake during the day to get my work done.
They make you sleepy? Wow, they never do that to me. I always wondered why the warnings said they may cause drowsiness. I wish it would have made me sleepy, because I'm frequently an imsomniac. I'm glad though they give you some relief. Anything is better than nothing. : )
Now, if only drinking wouldn't wake uS up! I don't know anyone past 12 who can sleep without going to the bathroom at some point in the night! LOL
@Augustta (1860)
• Poland
I have a severe allergies at some medicine...so severe than i had a "anafilactic shock" in past...lol... I can say that i am still lucky because if i avoid to take i don't have any problem... augusta
@SheliaLee (2738)
I'm glad you know which medicines you are allergic to. That can definitely be a problem. You be sure to take care of yourself!
@johndeese (189)
fortunate for me My allergies are not that bad And I only have to deal with OTC meds for my allergies.
@SheliaLee (2738)
That is wonderful. It is good when you don't have to take a lot of prescription medicine.
@Kythe42 (1412)
I've got bad allergies to lots of different things. I'm allergic to pollen, dust, mold, smoke, perfumes, and chemical fumes. I just suffer through it, sniffling and sneezing my head off. I don't take any medication because benedryl is the only stuff that works and it makes me too sleepy to function properly.
@SheliaLee (2738)
I know what you mean about the medication. Anything that I take presciption wise, if I take anything, I have to take it at night before I go to bed or I'm so sleepy I can't do my work here at home during the day.
@natalie1981 (2000)
I have hay fever and I sneeze a lot specially when it's windy. I could sneeze for hours on end and then the next day I'd get a fever from all the sneezing. I agree with AmbiePam, my mom gave me Claritin for my allergies and it really helped. I also use Benadryl capsules but I really prefer Claritin.
@SheliaLee (2738)
I appreciate your response. I've tried Claritin, Zyrtec and Allegra along with the allergy shots and Allegra seems to work best for me. The only problem I have with any of them is they make sleepy if I take them during the day so I have to take any of them at night. At least I sleep fairly good, unless my restless leg syndrome kicks in.