important info about area code

@mjsdls (1841)
I got from my aunt in email: I never heard of this before. We actually received a call last week from the 809 area code. The woman said "Hey, this is Karen. Sorry I missed you--get back to us quickly. I have something important to tell you." Then she repeated a phone number beginning with 809 We didn't respond. Then this week, we received the following e-mail: Do Not DIAL AREA CODE 809 , 284 AND 876 THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT INFORMATION PROVIDED TO US BY AT&T. DON'T EVER DIAL AREA CODE 809 This one is being distributed all over the US . This is pretty scary, especially given the way they try to get you to call. Be sure you read this and pass it on. They get you to call by telling you that it is information about a family member who has been ill or to tell you someone has been arrested, died, or to let you know you have won a wonderful prize, etc. In each case, you are told to call the 809 number right away. Since there are so many new area codes these days, people unknowingly return these calls. If you call from the U.S. , you will apparently be charged $2425 per-minute. Or, you'll get a long recorded message. The point is, they will try to keep you on the phone as long as possible to increase the charges. Unfortunately, when you get your phone bill, you'll often be charged more than $24,100.00. WHY IT WORKS: The 809 area code is located in the British Virgin Islands (The Bahamas). The charges afterwards can become a real nightmare. That's because you did actually make the call. If you complain, both your local phone company and your long distance carrier will not want to get involved and will most likely tell you that they are simply providing the billing for the foreign company. You'll end up dealing with a foreign company that argues they have done nothing wrong. Please forward this entire message to your friends, family and colleagues to help them become aware of this scam. Sandi Van Handel AT&T Field Service Manager (920)687-904
• Grand Junction, Colorado
I just got off the Snopes web site for this and although it is partly a real scam, it's uncommon in the US and the amounts are greatly exaggerated. I have attached the link for you and others to read further. The amounts are more like $25 to $100, so while still a lot of money much more realistic. http://www.snopes.com/fraud/telephone/809.asp Thanks for the discussion, I did get a kick out of it. :)
@byfaithonly (10716)
LOL - another snopes lover, I did the same thing, checked snopes before I read the whole discussion, guess that will teach me, could have saved myself some time as you already did it... I would still beware though as they said the charges are more like $25 to $100 for me that is money I can't afford to lose and certainly can think of better things to spend it on.
@wachit14 (3601)
I think I have read this somewhere, but it bears repeating. Frankly, I never ever answer my phone when I see an unfamiliar area code because I automatically assume it's someone wanting something from me....like money. Thanks for sharing this valuable piece of information. Also, don't get baited by any mail that says you've won a lottery for a couple of million dollars. They ask you to call some phone number (again in another country) and it turns out the bank they claim the money is being kept, either doesn't exist or the bank never heard of them.
@Shaun72 (15968)
• Palatka, Florida
That is scary thanks for the warning.