"Star Trek" actor's ashes prepare to reach final frontier

Dozens of fans prepared to bid farewell Saturday to "Star Trek" star James Doohan, whose ashes are to be blasted into space on a private rocket. Doohan, beloved for his role as the USS Enterprise's chief engineer Montgomery "Scotty" Scott, died aged 85 in 2005, but plans for his posthumous rendezvous with the final frontier have been repeatedly delayed. However on Saturday a symbolic portion of his ashes will be on board a SpaceLoft XL rocket that is scheduled to take off from a private launchpad near this town in the southwestern state of New Mexico. The launch has been scheduled for between 8:30 am (1430 GMT) and 2:30 pm local time (2030 GMT). Doohan's ashes will be accompanied by the remains of former US astronaut Gordon Cooper and those of 200 other people. Doohan's widow Wende said Friday her husband would have been thrilled at the prospect of a "space funeral" following a poignant service at the New Mexico Museum of Space History. thanx to yahoo homepage full story here http://uk.news.yahoo.com/rtrs/20070428/ten-uk-scotty-c528ac2.html
@Anniedup (3652)
• Richards Bay, South Africa
This one could easily have joined your previous discussion "Only in America" ha ha Peace to James Doohan or rather "Scotty"
never thought of that lol
that's fantastic , scotties finally being beemed up
@susieq223 (3742)
Kind of neat and very appropriate, huh? He really made it into space at last. I liked that series.
Glad he's finally on his way...it's been a long wait for this rocket. how nice though, about the service! I didn't think he'd get one on the day of the launch. I do wish it was closer, I'd have attended. Montgomery and Jimmy both deserve our respect and admiration for a job (and a life!) well done.
@emeraldisle (13158)
Reading this I was a bit chocked up by it. I think it's a fitting tribute to James Doohan. I think he will always be remembered in the role of Scotty from "Star Trek". He was loved by many and will not be forgotten any time soon. If anyone deserved to have his ashes taken up into space in such manner it is him.
@oldiebut (859)
I heard about this earlier this week and it brought a tear to my eye. A classy sendoff for an actor that will forever be part of pop culture.
She is giving it all she has got. I cannot change the laws of physics.
I cannot change the laws of physics