Do you tell your child to wear clean underwear in case they get into an accident

@TriciaW (2441)
Ok so my mom told me this all the time when I was younger and back then it worried me. Now that I think about it it sounds pretty odd. Cause really if you were injured in an accident is the ER room going to be paying attention to your underwear?
I always wear clean underwears lol. What a thought... is it one way to get children to be hygienic? :P
@Modestah (11192)
my mother always gave me this seemingly wise advice, and I imagine her mother told her the same. I have not carried on the practice, however. I do tell them to remember to change their undergarments - or they will start stinking may invite bacteria and infections to happen!
@Nardz13 (5059)
• New Zealand
Hi there, Accident or not, my children have to shower everyday and wear clean underwear and clothes, for personal hygene. I havent really thought about for accidents.
@KissThis (3006)
I have taught my children to change their underwear and socks twice a day. I never told them to do it because they might be in an accident though. I taught them this because of proper hygiene. It is nasty not to change your undergarments. I have asked them how they would feel if their friends found out that they didn't change their underwear. That usually will send them back in to change.
@inked4life (4227)
My Mum used to say that to me just about every day when I was a kid. I used ti imagine being hit by a car and being taken to the ER. The doctor would come out and say to my Mum.."Your son's injuries are superficial and he is going to be fine, but I just have to say that his underwear are an absolute disgrace"....that was enough to make me change....LOL
I do tell my children to wear clean underwear. Not because they might get into an accident but because it is basic hygine. I don't watn them to be embarressed when they get older because they dont' smell fresh.
@horsesrule (1960)
I have never told my daughter to wear clean underwear in case she was in an accident unless I was joking. I mean, really, it's such a dumb thing to say to your kids, were our mothers really serious? Or was it one of the those tricks that mothers use just to get us to change our underwear? I just don't know!
@lightningMD (5932)
I dont tell my daughter that,even though my parents used to tell us that. I just tell her to change cause its just gross to wear dirty underwear. Socks too,I often have to remind her to change her socks.