Heading back to school!!!

Graduation Hat - Graduation Hat and diploma
I've been out of school for 8 years now, boy has the time flown by. I applied to get into a university last year and got accepted but with my daughters school schedule I couldn't go. :( I was completely bummed out. Well, today I got online and applied to go to a community college in my area so that I can start working on my nursing degree. :) I'm so excited. I'll probably be starting this fall after I get all my financial aid crap going and getting my student loans. Did anyone else wait this long to go back to school or am I the only one? I'm a nervous wreck cause I don't do well around people I don't know and this is a huge step for me cause I had a lot of anxiety about going for so long that just applying to go is killing me. I'm sure I'll be fine once I find my way around campus and meet a few other students in my class. Any advice for me?
@amydawn11 (906)
When I went to college I made friends the very first day, actually on the way to our orientation. You will do great. I am 26 and was hoping to go back to school as well at some point. I am deciding between my bachelors in nursing or a dental hygienist. Congrats on going back, you'll be so happy you did.
Good luck in deciding on what you want to do. Its a hard decision especially if you like both.
Thank you
@ravinskye (8243)
Congrats on heading back to school! I think we might be the same age...I graduated in 99. I've been wanting to go to school, but we just don't have the money and I don't have the time. So I'm looking into penn foster, you can get your degree at home. They send you your books and everything. You'll do fine. I'm the same way, I get really nervous around people. But I think you'll find that most people will be really nice. And at a community college there are all ages usually so its not like everyone else will be fresh out of highschool :) Good luck!
I graduated in 99 too. :) Penn Foster what do they offer? I wish I could do my pre-reqs at home and then go to school for my nursing degree. Everyone here says I should be an accountant cause I'm so good with math and numbers but its really not my cup of tea. I was gonna know some people at the college I was planning on attending but since my hubby got a new job and we are moving North a few hours, I don't think I will know anyone. :(
@rodeotexas (1154)
Well just be yourself and don't scare anyone away. LOL Just be yourself and stay relaxed and you will be fine. What exactly are you going to do now that you are moving? Are you going to the junior college there? I know tons of people who go to the one in that town.
Yep I'll still go to the junior college there. I can't wait to get started. I won't scare anyone away I'm not that evil!!
@mflower2053 (3227)
Congratulations that is great that your going back to school. Alot of people are probably also feeling the sameway even if they haven't waited for that many years or they could of waited more then you have. Its really good your doing this and alot of people will look up to you for doing this. Good luck. Study hard and have fun. :}
I'm sure I will be studying hard since its been so long since I've been in school. I'm looking forward to it even though I am quite nervous. Thanks!
Congrats on going back to school, that is great! I am very happy and excited for you. I aggree with the other poster that you have to keep your school life seperate from your family life. It's the same with people who bring their problems home from work. I'm sure once you get to know your way around campus and make some new friends you'll be fine. Please don't forget about us, and keep us posted!
I definitely will keep my school life and family life seperate. Thank you on the congrats. :)
@bcote212 (1113)
COngratulations on deciding to continue your education. The most important thing to remember is to keep your home life seperate from your school life. When I was goping for my BA in Management I actually earned it though distance education. Until I learned how to keep my "normal" life and stresses seperate from my school things were stressfull. For me what worked best was to make sure that when I was doing school work that I was in my room without outside distractions. im sure that since you are studying nursing that you will be very b=usy, but remember to drop by, and say hi to us once in a while. Good luck, and remember to have some fun!
Thank you. :) Of course I'm still gonna drop by and say hi and keep up with my friends on mylot. :)
I'm happy for you. I know what it is like to start to another school. I understand how you feel as well. Most people in colleges are my age or older. Some are even younger than me, and I still made new friends.
@Lydia1901 (16354)
Well, that is just so good for you. I only been away for a year to have my daughter and I am very excited to go back this fall. I feel like I have been out for too long but now that I hear your story, I don't feel that I've been gone for that long at all. Good luck with your studies and I know how excited you are to get the degree. I feel the same way too.