Keeping Your Fingers Crossed

@kukkad (511)
Whenever I say something which has not happened....... and I want it to happen....... I would always "Cross My Fingers"........ its a habit which has been since childhood. Or, if I have to lie.......... unintentionally, I would cross my fingers. I do invest a lot in Indian stocks and shares......... and when I start that online Share trading webiste of mine....... I always keep my fingers crossed till the value of my shares come up. I think a lot of people have the habit of "Crossing Their Fingers"........ when they want something to happen....... something to happen in the next moment........ lol....... crossing their fingers in suspense. Do you cross your fingers too. When do you do that ?
i prefer to work towards getting the desired results, rather than keeping the fingers crossed and waiting for the things to happen. I love to drive things to yield desired results.
@ElicBxn (60427)
ya know, I used to do that when I was a kid. I wonder where that came from. I wonder if it went to India from England or if its some kind of an "Indo-European" superstition.
@kukkad (511)
lol Elic......... but, I dont think its centric to India or Asia. I think a lot of people across the world do that when they are tensed or there's a suspense......... Also, it is regarded as a substitute to "Touch Wood" when you dont have wood near you...... :P Thanks for your views...... :)
@ElicBxn (60427)
I'm in the U.S. of heavily northern European back ground. I'm wondering if a culture primarily unaffected by European culture does this. If it is very old in Indian culture than may be it goes back to thru the lingistic split of the Indo-European times if we don't see this coming into being in - say - Chinese or abroginal cultures. I do view India heavily influenced by the time under the British rule & since that's my cultural background, I know it is in Britian. The Philipino culture is heavily influenced by the Spanish & U.S. culture so you'd almost have to an isolated area to find out if its "introduced" or "native." "Knocking on wood" or "touching wood" harkens back to pre-Christian times, you actually see somewhat less of this in southern Europe than in northern. My, so called, pagen friends (because I suspect it was more of a game than a faith for them) claimed it went back to the Druids, & that makes more sense to me than having Stonehendge having anything to do with Druids.
@VotreAmie (3037)
Yes in my culture we do that too. We cross our fingers when we want badly something to happen or for good luck. But we don't use it when we say a lie. Here in the US I think they cross their fingers too. But I also discovered another thing they do: they say knock on wood. I don't know where this comes from but they do it for good luck.
@winterose (39929)
You bring back wonderful, memories I just to do that when I was young. I think most north american people have done that too, when they want something. I wonder were that habit first came about.
I stopped crossing my fingers about the same time I found out Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny were actually my parents. I am not really very supersticious so the actions doesn't mean much to me. I also know that leaving things to chance will not garner the necessary outcome. I need to work at making things happen the way I want them to.
@kathy77 (7488)
Yes it is strange in some ways how we develop habits and keep doing them throughout our lives especially when it comes to crossing our fingers. What we also do in Australia is to rub our hand on wood as this normally is suppose to give us good luck.
That's funny, I have a tendency to do that alot if I am forced to tell a little white lie. It's also a habit I picked up during childhood. I really don't think that it works, though.
I used to do this from my childhood when i say a lie
@samson1967 (7423)
Patience pays. Hence I wait for the things to happen, most of the times it has turned out positively. When we know that man proposes and god disposes, why to loose patience.
@bruxedo (773)
• France
I also do it and I'm not a superstious person. I think it's something that is deep inside us because of our education and even if you don't believe you make it. It's like all those traditions we have about entering a new year with the right foot, or in theatre the "break a leg" that actors say to each other..