Step Mother In~law

I have a step mother in law and she is a very frustrating person. She has a very low self esteem. They are involved in our life very little and that is the choice that they make. A few times my Hubby's Dad will get to feeling guilty about the fact that we are not close at all. The he wants to sit down and have a talk. He basically claims no responsibility in the matter he puts it all on us. I think in actuality she likes it that we are not close. She have convinced him that she does care about us but I say that actions speak louder than words. I just get so annoyed by her. Has anyone been in this situation and do you have any words of advise? I have pretty much given up and moved past it. They have done some pretty hurtful things in the past and I have let them all go. Once we had planned on going up to visit them my hubby and I both took off work we got a call the day before we were to leave saying that we couldn't come because Her sister had arrived for a visit. We ended up going to his Mom's house where we are always welcome. For many years they would say tht they were coming to the boys birthday and we would gt a call the day before with them saying they couldnt make it. I stopped telling the boys the were coming till I saw the whites of their eyes. I'm the type of peson that I will not force myself or my family on you if you want to be with us spend time that is great. If not I am not going out on a limb to make you feel better. Sigh anyone have any ideas for me?
@misheleen73 (6037)
You are doing just fine Rhonda Roo !! My own mother used to drive by my house daily and never stopped to see her grandchildren. I know all too well the type of situation you are in, and by moving on and not living your life around them, you are doing the best you can for yourself and your family. I tell myself, when my boys get older, they'll know the truth about certain things, and yours will too. They'll figure out why Grandpa wasn't around. You keep on truckin girl. You know I'm always here for you !!
I guess in a way I feel really bad that one day the kids will know. It makes me sad I'd love to save them from that hurt but they are doing to themselves. OH well
Thanks for the Br