Vitamin A Important In Ear Development

@kathy77 (7488)
Australia
Researchers studying the effects of Vitamin A on mouse embryos say their study indicates there may be benefits to pregnant women taking supplements of the vitamin. In the study, the researchers wanted to see when, where and how much retinoic acid a compound derived from Vitamin A is needed for normal infant development. Results showed that the effects of retinoic acid treatment on mouse embryos that lacked a gene, Hoxa1, that is needed for the proper development of the inner ear.
@abbey19 (3129)
• Gold Coast, Australia
Valuable information Kathy. I hope my daughter-in-law has a good supply of Vitamin A in her body for her unborn child. She is overdue by a week, so we are all hoping for a healthy baby.
@mamacathie (3929)
I just found this info too while searching.....Defects in embryonic hindbrain development and fetal resorption resulting from Vit A definciency in the rat are prevented by feeding the pharmacological levels of the all-trans-retinoic acid. So I guess Vit A is very important to a pregnant woman and the developing fetus.
@weemam (13389)
Another good discussion pal , with loads of information , thanks for that xx
Wonderful! I'm all for anything that helps bring babies into this world healthy!! I avoid medications and such like they're poison when I'm pregnant because I truly worry that researchers will find down the road that medications they THOUGHT were safe to take are actually the case of some problem or another. But eating right and taking vitamins are always one great thing you can do for your baby while you're pregnant!! It makes me wonder if prenatal vitamins have the proper amounts of vitamin A now that they've found out about this. Hopefully this study will help them figure out what dosage is proper for humans and make sure prenatal vitamins contain that!
@RookRocks (384)
So Vitamin A is also for the ears? Hmm... seems there is more in eating carrots than a twenty-twenty vision. Whenever I hear Vitamin A, I always think of carrots and eyes. It was I think because of an old nutritional commercial jingle I picked up on TV when I was a kid. I heard they were also good for the skin. A skin product I bought once said so. Hmm...
@beaniegdi (1966)
The only problem and it is a large one in recommending vitamin A is that it is toxic in large doses. In other words take too high of a dosage and it will make you ill and is actually bad for your health. Most vitamins are what is known as water soluble and if you take too much the body can just pass it out in your urine but Vitamin isn't and is like a fat that the body cannot just get rid of. It sounds incredibly interesting when it comes to helping babies develop properly but if someone just took it upon themselves to take this as a supplememt when pregnant it will lead to problems, usually with the liver as that is the organ that has to deal with a vitamin A overdose.