Age 60 the new 40?

I heard the other day that nowadays being 60 yrs. old is the new 40. What do you think? Of course, since I am pushing 50 I would tend to agree. But I thought about this for awhile and it does seem to make sense to me. I know more people 60 and even 70 who act, dress and even look younger,much younger than they actually are. I'm curious to see how other mylotters feel about this.
Oh my goodness! Applsofgld, you only need 1 more point and you will be 100/100!!!
I don't get it.
i was wondering how people found that out! thank you for posting that :)
@mtdewgurl74 (18122)
Mom and Dad - This is a photo of my mother and father that was taken professionally.
My dad is 69 and my mother 59 and neither act like they are their age. They did when us kids lived in the house but it seems they have a new lease on life when we all moved out. And my little five year old sister that still lives with them maybe keeps them young. They adopted her at birth she was handed straight to my mom. Don't get me wrong they do still have a few days her and there that are bad ones but they are still don't act their age.
What a wonderful story, thank you for sharing it with me. My mom also adopted my neice when she was 1 yr. old and now she is over 10. She gave my mom a reason to get up everyday, after losing my brother, sister, and her husband all within a 6 yr. period. I'll bet it's nice for you to have parents who are younger feeling/acting. Sometimes it's hard to relate to our parents when they don't understand what is going on in today's world.
@mtdewgurl74 (18122)
Cool my mom and dad adopted my brothers daughter his girlfriend didn't want her, and so we wanted her t stay in the family and she has been a blessing to us all since. Thanks.
@Debs_place (10551)
I am not going to say 60 and 40, but I remember my grandmother...and she was always a grandma...dresses and granny shoes and she always seemed old. I wear jeans, sneakers-- somewhat active, I think we need to define ages differently...many places consider 55 to be senior citizen....get real...55 is far from a senior citizen.
I know,my husband is 52 and has grey/white hair. Many,many places we go to ask if he wants the senior citizen discount, he'll say sure, but he's not a senior. 55 is no way near a senior citizen, I agree with you 101%.
Look at my photo, what do you think? I am almost 60 years old. I try to stay young at heart and also dress nice. If only the old bones would cooperate, I would be thrilled to feel 40. :)
Wow, Margieanne, you don't look 60 at all. I know what you mean about the old bones not cooperating. You look great girlfriend!
I agree with this idea. My mom is almost 70 years of age and nobody would believe it. It is about who she is as a person, the way she dresses, the way she copes, the ideas she has and what she does to entertain herself.
My mom is 75 and she still insists on doing everything herself. She still mows her grass and does everything for herself. But she is slowing down physically. That's great about your mom, I meet people all the time who are in their 60's who listen to music and watch tv shows that I would think only younger people listen too. But then I listen to that music and I am 48.
@kathy77 (7488)
Hi, yes well I think that this a great point as we seem to be a lot livelier than what people used to be at the age of 60 I know that with me that I am 55 years old and I certainly do not feel like that most of the time I feel a lot younger, and people have commented that they do not believe that I look my age so I would be agreeing with you
I get the same thing from others. I had heard on the news one morning that 60 was the new 40 and I thought about it, and it does appear to be that way with a lot of folks.
I totally, positively, absolutely, utterly, 100% agree.
Thanks for sharing with me your views on this Whiteheather.
You are as old as you feel - that is my belief. I have days when I feel like I am 100 and days when I feel 16 again. As for the dressing and acting part; I think that sometimes older people overdo things in order to act younger, for example wearing tight clothes, too short skirts, too high heels, too much jewelry, too much make up and/or too bright colours - HOWEVER, I believe if that is what makes them happy that is really all that matters in the end - who am I do judge!!!
I like the way you think MagdalenaM. So long as the person is happy with whom they are :)
@KrisNY (7609)
I have heard that 50 is the new 40. I agree with this- I think as we get older- old feels older to us- I'm 34- and 40 doesn't seem old to me at all- 70 does! So I would agree with the statement. People are staying more active- and with medical advances people just are staying younger- You are only as old as you feel!
i think so.people are living longer and longer these days."middle age" accordingly would have to be moved over too.
@mari61960 (4895)
Well since I'm going to be 47 I kind of like that idea....lol Of course some days I feel like I'm 90 but then again there are days when I think I'm still 25 and can run a marathon....those days are few and far between however...hehe
@rosie_123 (6118)
Oh definately - yes I agree. Women can look as smart, glamourous, and fashion conscious at 60 or 70 as they do at 20 these days. Age is just a number anyway in my opinion - it is all down to how you feel about yourself and within yourself. Iyself turned 50 last week, and I honestly feel no different within myself tha I did at 20! I still listen to the rock music I grew up with in the 70's, still go and watch live bands in concert, still paint my nails and wear make-up, still show a interest in fashion and shopping, and still go out and have giggly "girls" nights out with my female friends from schooldays. I still feel young in my heart and that is all that matters!