do you shop at food wholesalers?

such as bj's,sam's,food wherehouse,etc? do you find a good savings buying in bulk? we have the bj's wholesale near us..granted,it can lead to impulse buying..i really didn't need the dvd's i picked up today LOL but for things like spices and meats,i do find a savings..
@4cuteboys (4102)
Yup,I am a member of Costco, and was a member of sams club before too, and although I prefer Costco over Sams, I would be a member of whichever one was closest to me. As a mother of 4 and soon to be 5, I find it perfect to go and buy huge packs of toilet paper, paper towels and all that. I do impulse buy sometimes, but I try to stick to what I went for and what we need. I try to stay out of the cd/dvd/video game area because I know I cant control myself with that kind of stuff sometimes. I have never bought meat because we have a small freezer, but I find the savings on the dry goods I buy to me awesome, and way cheaper than the supermarkets here, and plus the fact that I save trips because I won't run out is immeasurable to me!
i bet it's a life saver when you have kids. i know people in areas with no wholesalers and they seem to be running to the store constantly.
Yes we go to Costco on a regular basis. I go there because it's the closest, if any of the others were closer i'd go there instead. We get lots of good deals and yes at times there is an impulse buy but for more expensive items we check to see if there is anywhere else cheaper, like a digital camera i just bought was cheaper by $20 the cheapest internet price. Yeah i could probably get it cheaper on eBay but i'd rather have a new one.
that's a sweet deal. i hear you-i'd definetly go for the new on cameras also.
I'm a member of both, BJ's & CostCo (Formerly The Price Club). They are both where I get a majority of my food from, as well as other things. BJ's also have a gas station in which gas is 10 cents cheaper for members. Even if you're NOT a member, their gasoline is reasonably priced. The only thing is, they only have regular & (87 octane) & 'super/premium' (93 octane), so it makes me have to run back & forth twice. Fill halfway with regular, pay for it, & then fill with the high grade & pay for that.
our bj's doesn't have gas:( we got a smaller one,i guess.i wish we did though- probably save quite a bit on it.
I'm thinking go in there with a baseball bat & demand a BJ's gas station.
that works for me LOL funny thing is,they have a huge parking lot-i don't know why they didn't add one,plenty of room. they could give up a few feet.
Hi scarlet_woman We do have a Wholesale Club here and I love it! Everything is cheaper then Safeway or the Co-op. My daughter is only 11 months so the groceries are just for the hubby and I so we don't buy a lot of bulk. The prices on just about everything are cheaper though then the other grocery stores so we always go either there or to Walmart for our groceries. The Walmart here doesn't have produce though, so we always get that at the Wholesale Club.
our walmart doesn't have the food either-we have a really small one-it's not 24 hrs like some of them. the wholesale is much cheaper-i've noticed walmart's prices are creeping up for whatever reason.
Our Walmart isn't 24 hrs either, but a lot of the food that I can get there is cheaper then the Whole Sale so I just get whatever is cheapest at each place.
@cikedo (3487)
I shop at BJ's once a month. They have great deals on cosmetics and non-perishable foods. I won't buy meat there though. It doesn't look all that fresh.
it's funny you mention that-the last couple of times i went there,the meat seemed like it was thawing.. i don't know if their display cases are going down or what,but i decided not to buy meat that day. just bought meat shouldn't be bleeding already:(
@happymom1 (1179)
My family is a member of sams club. I myself likes to go there because you can find fresh fruits and vegetables in there and its not expensive. We will go to that store once a week and its fun to shop by wholesale.
i like sam's-i used to go there when i lived in the southwest.they have great deals on soda too,their brand is just like the other brand names.
@Bee1955 (3886)
Buy in bulk - CHEAPER! - Sams Club
Impulse buying can happen at any place - large or small. You simply need to learn to control yourself and be disciplined (LOL)!Dont go to the store hungry, but not so full that you decide to leave 1/2 of what you were suppose to get at the store! I've shopped at Sam's Club since it opened as a club only for commercial or government workers. Sure, I go off in a binge once in a while, but if your budget wheel begins to groan and moan - its time to S T O P!
this is true:) i'm usually pretty good about not forgetting what i came for.but there's always one item i remember once i get home LOL thankfully it was something i could get local.
@pyewacket (44036)
Oh count yourself lucky to have such places..alas, there aren't any places like that near me, unless you can count the 99-cent stores where one can buy a lot of really good quality items..the downside is that, you think or this is only 99-cents and you walk out with $40.00 worth of stuff
we have..i think 1 dollar store left here.. i do like them.you never know what you'l find in them. i've done the 40 dollar run too-they had a bunch of canned sauces..i got way more than i'd planned.
I haven't been to a wholesalers since we moved down here but when we get back,I would like to start going to Sam's again.I love going there for the spices and condiments. I wish they would carry more low fat foods!
this one has that problem too-the cake/pastry section is bigger than the meats,i think.. they do have stuff just for diabetics though,which is cool.that would be good for my godmother.
I have been to a couple of food warehouses and bought things in bulk to save money. Being able to get a sack of rice at a fraction of the cost of the supermarket is a great saving. I bought rice and pasta in bulk and stashed the sacks in the cupboard in the kitchen, and I bought spices and cake fruit too. However, they can lead to the odd impulse buy, like you I did give in to temptation and bought a box of chocolate bars :-)
i actually managed to walk out forgetting to get pasta yesterday-i could have kicked myself LOL i always forget something..
@Woodpigeon (3710)
The closest thing we have to a wholesaler is Lidl. It isn't really 'bulk' shopping, though. I think you can get toilet paper in large quantities, and cat litter, but that is pretty much it. It's just that the rest of the items are more or less normal sized, and the prices are very good compared to the other supermarkets. Everything is so expensive here in Ireland, and this isn't an Irish store, but a German (I think) company that has expanded across Europe. We have done a few holidays in France and discovered them there and were SO excited when they arrived here. It's nice to get all that international fare without the jacked up import prices!
i wonder if that chain will get here too-it sounds interesting..
@brimia (6584)
I don't have a membership but I go with my mother in law about twice a year and just buy a few things. A lot of it doesn't seem like such a great deal and it's hard for me to find room in my house for the large packages.
i ran into that problem myself after going the other day..i ended up having to break up some of the packages to get it all in my cabinets.
@webeishere (36353)
I shop at Sams Club a lot. I used to shop at Costco. My wife has a business membership through her work so we shop Sams now. HASPPY POSTINGS FROM GRANDPA BOB!!~
they've been talking about giving us a costco- i'm not sure if they'll build one,but it would be nice to have two of them.
I don't shop at BJ's or Sams but I do by my fish and certain meats at a couple of great wholesale places. I buy my fish from the wholesalers in Philadelphia. You can get fish that would cost you $2.99 a pound in the supermarket for 79 cents to 99 cents a pound at the wholesaler. You have to buy at least 25 pounds. I buy them, separate them and freeze them until I need them. I love buying wholesale like that. Lloyd
wow-that's a great deal on fish! it's expensive here..which makes no sense because i live so close to the ocean.greedy stores,maybe.
@Modestah (11192)
when we lived in the North East we belonged to a BJ's warehouse....when we moved to the South West we belonged to Sams Club. I enjoyed being a member there were always great buys during certain seasons, and my beloved love going to get samples lol. I hear a lot about Costco, but have never seen or been to one. We live in the boonies out here, nothing so special around us.... lol.
i used to get day passes to sam's when i lived out west too-they had awesome deals on those soda packs. otherwise,it was fry's supermarket.. oh god!sample counters! my brother is hell to get away from those-he has to sample everything LOL
@emeraldisle (13145)
When I can I love to shop at Sam's Club. I've never heard of BJ's but I bet they are similar. The problem comes in they can be more out put at once even though you save in the long run. I manage to get to go every couple of months for a few things but I remember when I could afford to go once a month.
i do the "big shopping" as my brother puts it-there, whenever i have extra i go get some meats to save on more trips.i love those 24 packs of eggs they carry-my family goes through so many.