Do you live in a safe place?

Rain on the Coast - This picture was taken during a rainstorm while we were visiting the beach.
@susieq223 (3742)
The weather news has been awful the last few years. What with hurricanes, tornados, tsunamis, etc. I live in Florida and we have to be prepared to evacuate for hurricanes. Where you live, do you have to be concerned about keeping safe?
Being a Human being,you should always keep one step ahead of "the bad stuff".Always pay attention to your surroundings, and get out before the ball drops. I live in NY,LongIsland,50 or so miles from the sh#ty.
@susieq223 (3742)
You're right about getting out in time. I've always heard Long Island is beautiful, but I've never seen it.
...endless wastelands of suburban dellings,strip malls,malls,car dealerships,and pine barrens. Lots of roadway too. This is the flatlands,it is only an'Island. Ask Wilson.We are about 3 quarters full,look at the cenous,more humans per sq. mile than...It is beati-ful,yep...interesting.Great place to live your life if you dont mind not being alone.
@pyewacket (44037)
Hehehe--okay here I am to answer that...Actually so far we haven't had any real major disasters..we have our share of heavy snowstorms, heavy drenching rains extra...but maybe cause I live in NY we kind of take it in stride--although a heavy snowstorm can put the city to a screeching halt...but actually I find it fun then....there's no traffic, so nice and quiet...usually the thing that will really put the city out of whack is not natural disasters, but man-made related ones, like blackouts---like the one we had about two years ago...for a long time you couldn't buy any fresh meats or frozen foods...since none kept well...for a long time, I lived on canned food since I just didn't trust the fresh meats or frozen for a long time..I had once experienced food poisoning..ah,,,the memory still lingers...
@susieq223 (3742)
Not a good memory--food poisoning! I can see why you would be careful! I remember reading about the blackout.
@charms88 (7543)
I have to say that I'm lucky to be living in a safe place and in a safe house. Tornadoes and tsunamis are rarely hit in my country. But hurricanes is always a problem here too. There are some public schools which are open for evacuation. Relief goods and medicines will be delivered right away. But with the huge number of evacuees , sometimes its not enough.
@susieq223 (3742)
I'm lucky I've never had to go to a safe shelter so far. Hope it stays that way! Hope the same goes for you.
I was born in Florida, and lived there. So, I understand what you have to put up with. I now live in the southwest. We really don't have too many problems. Sometimes a flash flood, or a dust tornado. Mostly have to deal with intense heat. It's fairly safe here.
@susieq223 (3742)
No earthquakes there, huh? I'd have to stay inside for th heat, like I do here. Or make enough money to go to the mountains for the summer!