Painted bread anyone?

By Raz
@razcal2267 (15577)
I know that it sounds rather silly and strange but when you have three boys that wake up rather early and eat every two hours you need to find some creative ways to hold them over until a meal is actually ready. My sister told me to help supervise them painting bread. I thought she was crazy when I saw her take out 3 bowls and put a few splashes of milk in each and then add a few drops of food coloring in. One was pink, the other blue and the last green. The boys all grabbed a paint brush and decorated these toast. I have to say I was amazed to see that all three were interested in the same thing and that all are so creative. The toast doe not taste bad either but I did add butter to mine after they all painted something on the toast that was for me.
@brokentia (10397)
That actually sounds pretty cool!!! I will have to try that out this summer! I wonder if it would be a good thing for pancakes also. Or maybe if one uses fruit syrup as the paint instead of food colored milk for pancakes. That really sparks ideas though. Thank so much! My kids will love it!!! :)
@razcal2267 (15577)
You will have to let me know if it works with pancakes because if it does I will have to pass that idea on to my sister.
@brokentia (10397)
Will do. :) I will try it this summer when the kids have more time in the mornings. :D Thanks again for the idea!!!
@whyaskq (7553)
No, I don't find it silly when it is from kids. Give them some colourful spreads (butter, jam, peanut butter and kaya etc) plus cheese and fillings, they are bound to produce something out of it. Kids are rather innovative. My little niece make pictures and "cookies" out of the bread instead of eating them.
@razcal2267 (15577)
I did not mean that kids painting bread was silly. I meant the idea of painted bread is a bit silly. If I were able to frame and keep the toast that my nephews paint I would most likely do so but I can't. It is just something to keep them busy as my sister is preparing the rest of their meal and then they get to eat their artwork which they find rather cool.
@TerryZ (22147)
Hi razcal I think that is a very good idea. And if the kids like youve got it made. You can also do it with frosting I bet that would be good.LOL And you know the kids will like it because its sweet.
@razcal2267 (15577)
Yes, you could do the same thing with frosting but I would think that if using frosting you would paint a cupcake instead of a piece of toast.
@charms88 (7547)
Hey razcal, that's interesting. Never heard about this painted bread before. I better give this a try. I'm sure my girls will have a blast with all the mess, LOL! Thanks for sharing this one.