I have had megan now straight for a week now. Others are stating to talk

Now I hope I can get this right. I have had megan sleeping over a few times. Now I have this issue. I thought at first she was telling lies. about her mother not wanting her. The father was over my house over 2 weeks ago. The grand mother h=who keeps her was here as well. We spoke for a while. The issue is this. Meagan has told other kids parents of her parents not wanting her. I have had people tell me to call cps. I can't do this and won't. How do I call cps on the parents without megan being sent to a foster home. She asked me to adopt her in front of her mother. I could not close my mouth. Her mother said nothing. I don't want to cause the poor child more pain. I need away to get the mother to give me at least something in writing to keep her. She has a terrible hole in her leg where you can see the bone. I can't take her to the emergency room. All my friends who see her her say I need to adopt her. How do I do this with out causing the poor child to be placed in foster care. No one has even brought her panties,clothes nothing since Wednesday. I have seen for myself they don't want her. I am lost in this one. Please understand before you respond. I am not calling cps on the mother. This will hurt megan even more. I need to know how to get the mother/father to go to court and turn over custody to me without megan going in state care. I spoke to megan last night about her going to her grand mothers. You have to see her face to understand. Thanks very much.
@castleghost (1304)
If both parents are willing they can sign over legal custody og Megan to you. Its a simple procedure from what I understand. You would need a lawyer to draw up the papers to what you have agreed to. A judge will sign off on it and Megan can stay with you. The laws where you live might be a little different so I would suggest you call up a couple of lawyers to make sure that you are able to do it this way where you live.
I would surly hope this lawyer is free. Thanks for the help
Normally you can get free advice from a lawyer. I had a friend whose lawyer drew up the papers for free just because he wanted the child out of the situation.
@judyt00 (3504)
Usually. the lawyer will bill the state, since children don't have to pay forlawyers, and really, he would be Megan's lawyer.
@judyt00 (3504)
I think you should speak to a lawyer about what rights you may be allowed, then call cps. i know you only have Megan's best interest at heart, but you may be able to keep her any way, if you can be made a foster parent. My friend's daughters ran away to my daughter's house shortly after she was married because my friend (she's schitzophrenic)was off her meds and had scared them. Cps allowed them to stay with her, and quickly made her and her husband foster parents, which entitled them to receive the allowance provided by cps for their support. Call anonymously and ask an intake worker what your chances are of keeping her, and how you can be made a foster parent.
I also agree with Judy.But I think you should talk seriously with Megan's parents first, and make plain your intentions. My heart goes out to the little girl. It must feel terrible for a child to feel unwanted by her own parents. Please give her lots of love and hugs. I write this post with a lump in my throat.
Well I called the mother for a meeting with me today. I spoke to the grandmother this morning. The mother has kept custody in order to file megan on her taxes. What a shame
@loujac3 (1188)
I die inside a little bit each time I see a case like this. How can a person not love their child? I see it so much and it makes me understand why my daughters refuse to bring more children into this world. My oldest daughter volunteered in Africa and fell in love with some of the children there. Eventually she will adopt a child. Please do what you must to save Megan. She is a angel and will bring love and hope to those who work with her. Do what you must but see that she gets the care and love and protection that is needed. There is hope in this world and you are part of it. Bless you and those along your path!
megan is doing great each day. She is playing with the kids more. I just had her take pictures at walmart. I will be listing one here soon. I am not a person with a lot of money. I feel love costs nothing and food can be shared. Thanks.
If you are willing to step in and take over this childs care then can you just ask for the parents to sign her over? There are all these laws that make it hard to do the right thing but it has to be done. I would look up the local laws in your area and see what options you have. Maybe call a family lawer and see if there is an easier and less costly way to handle it all. It is good to hear about people stepping in when kids need them to. Thank you for helping to renew my hope for a good future. I wasgetting down lately on every one only thinking of themselves.
Well the first thing I have to do is speak to the mother. The grandmother and I talked today. She is all for me keeping megan. She agrees megan needs a steady home. She said she told megan to come home. Megan will go home and she can't take how she is because she wants to be with me. I am at a lost right now. The mother has not called me back in 2 days now.
@angelface23 (2502)
does the grandmother want her? If she would take her in then I would call the cops because their is a chance that the grandmother would get temporary custody. Then you could talk to her about adopting megan. How old is Megan? I just couldn't imagine telling my daughter i don't want her. That really upsets me. If she doesn't want her then she needs to turn her over to the state or to you or the grandmother.
The grandmother loves her but does not want her. She is very tired and works everyday. She has no energy for this stress. It hurts her because megan's' mother is her daughter. I will wait to speak to the grandmother. Thanks
have you spoken to the mother about wanting to keep meagan with you. i think that's the best way of doing it. i went to live with a fried at age 13. i was old enough to make the decision though i'm not sure how old meagan is. anyway what we did is my parents and my friends parents and me had a meeting together and we just decided that my parents were going to pay my friends parents so much a month to help with rent and groceries so i could live there. everyone was in aggreement. even if meagan's mother doesn't want her at home and doesn't want to pay and you are ok with that, you should start by talking to her then maybe she'll be willing to write something up for you to keep her. but beware she might want to someday take her daughter back. so just talk to a lawer for advice on what else you should do. good luck
Megan is 13 years old. She has surprised me by not running away. She does not want to go back to her grandmother. Which is also the grandmothers feelings. She is in her 70's and she is very tired of it all. I will have to decide when to talk to the mother about this. because of her current pregnancy.
you should talk to someone in family law. And have you tried talking to her mom? Unless she is willing to let you adopt her daughter, there is no other way than to get the police and courts involved. If she is willing you may be able to settle it through family law ans adoption service without having Megan get taken away.
I know I have to talk to the mother first. She is pregnant with her 7th child. I don't know if I should do it now. Then she fells all motherly and say no. Or wait to see if the father stays with her. She does not have any of the kids and won't keep this one if the father leaves. So You can see my issue. Thanks
I'm not really sure how it works where you live, but at least here in Florida, You need to have something written by Parents and notarized or witnessed by a lawyer statung that you are the girls legal guardian so you won't have problems in getting her treated. At least that is what my great grandparents had to do to keep me, my mom and dad got divorced and my mother couldn't take care of me because she worked night time. So when my grandparents moved here to florida they brought me with them with just a letter written by mom. When I had to get my tonsils removed I had to wait all day for nurses to reach my mother in Puerto Rico and my father in WIsconsin to get their permission to operate on me because the letter my grandparents had wasn't "legal" and it didn't have both of my parents consent. You could speak to lawyer, or child service office, and I think the girl can choose who she wants to live with.
I live in Florida myself. I am on my way to speak to the grandmother of the child. Thanks very much.
@emeraldisle (13158)
I know you don't want to hurt Megan but you might have to call DCF or CPS on the parents. From what you said Megan has a hole in her leg to the bone and if it's that bad she needs to get into a doctor. It would be better to go into foster care then to have her lose her leg or worse. If you are willing to take her and DCF/CPS will approve you for foster care then it shouldn't be a problem for you to take her in. Often they want to place a child with someone the child knows. You could call an attorney and check. At least get some free advice. I would also talk with the mother and see if they'd be willing to sign over custody. If they are then it's a simple matter for them to do and then you can have custody of her. Either way from what I'm hearing in this and another post you did about her she needs to be gotten out of that home. It's not safe for her.
I agree all the way you know it's so hard to even think to call cps. I have seen this child sad for so long. It hurt me sad bad the other night. I was watching tv and I heard megan laughing so loud in the bathroom. I had never heard her laugh before. She is getting use to being here and she is not looking to leave. I wonder if I go to city hall if they can help me. The reason I say this is I am right by them. I am watching the leg it is getting better. don't get me wrong it's not going to heal that fast. The hole is too deep. Hopefully the mother will call back today.
@emeraldisle (13158)
I'm glad to hear she's doing better, both in mood and with her leg. I hope she does call you back. City hall might, who knows with them. Just be prepared in case they don't.
@sjohnson628 (3197)
My sister did this. She adopted a girl who was not being neglected but just didn't get along with her mother. It was a mutual agreement with the mother of the girl and my sister. I think all she did was they both went to the court house with a paper drawn up and sign it in front of a notary public. Megan needs medical attention just tell her mother that you are willing to bring her if she will sign custody over to you or at least sign a paper making you legal guardian or power of attorney for Megan. I will have to ask my sister just what she had to do. She's a hard person to get a hold of she's going to nursing school and working so she is very busy. But I will let you know as soon as I get a hold of her. I hope these suggestions work you could research power of attorney and legal guardian. Also Legal aid is free.
Let me know if you think city hall can help me. I live right by them and the police station. I am not calling the cops. All the mother has to do it take her to her grandmothers. The grandmother wants to place her in foster care. So she plans to talk to the daughter.
@citygirl (1083)
well lucky for Megan you are there for her. How old is Megan. What is wrong with her leg? If it is really bad you will have to take her to a doctor or you will get in trouble. Her parents might blame you for her not getting medical attention. Has no teacher or any one else not noticed what is going on. The poor kid. I wish yous all the best.
Megan is 12 years old. her leg is doing fine getting better daily. She has not told anyone of the horrible life she lives. She is now doing all the little girl things. Having fun and being a child for once. She will not be seeing her father any more and wishes not to see her mother either. She will be with me till we get it all figured out. I am now making space to have her have her own everything. She is the most grateful child in the world.
@msjigga (866)
I would like to commend you for being so caring for Megan. The laws vary in every state. If you can get both the Mother and Father to agree to letting you adopt or be a foster parent that would be great and a easy process. Getting both parent to agree sometimes is the hardest thing if the Father who still has rights to the child disagrees than you have to go through a long court process. I wish you the best of luck and support in this issue.
boy oh boy hard one this, i think that u need to sit down with megans parents, both of them see there views on things, no harm can come of it that way just talk toghter u might be surpised in what they say to u. and always remember to think about ur actions no matter what u intend or how u intend to do help the child must always come first good luck to u
@tad1fan (3373)
It's going to take some doing,but I've been there and did that!You need to call your children's aid society.....let them know the situation,they will come and assess the situation and deal with it the best they can....you need to put the childs care first,whether she is put in care or left with you,I see that she would be better off.If the parents of the child agree in court,the child will be given to you as long as they think she will be safe.....even if they signed papers giving you custody,CPS would still get involved and she still may be placed in foster care......they will allow you to keep her as long as they think she will be safe.....I hope and pray that you do what is right by this child and keep her from harms way.....good luck to you!
@Ravenladyj (22992)
wow you are in a very tough position and i have to say kudos to you for being such a stand up person! I can understand you not wanting to go to the police and I while i agree that it would cause her more pain I really think that calling someone with authority or at least a lawyer maybe would be the best way to go about it...Not just so you know where you stand legally etc but also to protect yourself should the parents try to pull some stunt AND so you are informed on the best course of action to take.....I would say calling a lawyer might be the best plan OR maybe you could see about talking to the parents (with a witness on your side though, just incase) and see if they are willing to sign over custody to you OR have Megan placed in your care as a foster child (which might make the parents more at ease really...that way they dont ahve to admit they dont want her but they dont have to keep her either) My heart goes out to you and megan....I've had kids from bad homes come to me and actually I had a parent ask me to take their child in but it would have been country to country or I'd have to move and that wasnt goin to happen.....
@SpitFire179 (2536)
at 12 a child can get a lawyer and go with whoever they want, that person, if willing can have full custody, if the girl wants this, then you need to get her a lawyer (which is free because she's a minor) just call legal aid and get her an appointment, and go from there, she can take it to court and within a week you will have full custody of this little girl. Also, you better get that leg checked by an emergency room, just tell them she fell or something, if you don't want to tell them otherwise, but it would be best to tell them the truth because that will give you better chance of getting custody, also the number of children in the family already gives you an even better chance. You don't want her leg to get gangrene, because then she would lose her leg, get her to a hospital immediately, and get her to get a lawyer of her own right after that, that's all you can do, otherwise, the police can order her back with her parents or grandmother the second they get a call.