Do you think text messaging is good for our children

I mean I know that doing short hand comes in real handy for certain jobs like court reporting and even doctor's do it. But do you think by doing so much short hand while texting is stopping them from really learning how to spell some things? Do you let your children text? Why or why not? Any thoughts?????
@Sissygrl (10915)
I text all the time but i dont use short hand for it. There is an option on most phones that you just hit the button where the letters for the world are, and it will spell the most used word, and if that's not the one you want you hit next and it'll sesort them and come up with a different word till you get to the right one. Anyone that uses text messaging a lot knows how many times they have to hit the next button to get to the word they wanna use lol. I can even write a message without even looking at the keypad. I know. Maybe i text too much.. but i have cut down quite a bit now that i have the internet... befor that i used to use msn on my phone. I dont think its bad for your kids, as long as their thumbs dont fall off and you dont have to pay the bill :P I would hope, by the time they are old enough to use a cell phone, they have already learned to spell decently :)
Of course most kids who text already know how to spell,but I have seen kids getting phones younger and younger now adays. I do IM quite a bit,I just seen this commercial about texting and the mother could barely understand the child because she was saying everything in short hand like NBD-no big deal,stuff like that and it just made me wonder. Thanks
Ok I love to text message, but I NEVER use short hand. Why? Becasue it would take me forever, plus i do not need to decipher everything. will my daughter have a cell phone to even text on only when she leaves the house to go to a movie or something, but not for just sitting around the house. Her options will be to call them, or talk to them tommorrow. Even though it will be free for her to text I can't let her know that.
Right if she did she would be doing it all the time. I know far too many kids who do nothing but text all the time even late at night. Thanks.
@trinihd (996)
I don't have kids so I can't really answer properly the last part of your question, but I do believe that Instant Messaging and texting are very bad because they *do* prevent children from learning to properly communicate in standard English (or American English) and I am sure it is an impediment to them learning to spell words because they learn more shortened versions of words and phrases when they use IM and texting frequently. I think we need to promote good old-fashioned letter-writing to kids and stop encouraging them to use too much "shorthand" technology. Even the shorthand that doctors and court reporters use is not the same as the shorthand used in IM and texting (as far as I know) so using these is in no way beneficial to children. They do not learn any skills that can be applied to a career unless they plan to make a career out of IM or texting, and I cannot imagine how that would work, except maybe on a reality tv show!
Thanks for your response,I agree we need to show them there are other ways to communticate.
@trinihd (996)
You're welcome! Indeed, we do need to show them the other ways to communicate because if we ever lose access to technology, then we'll have to fall back on all those old-fashioned ways ...and besides, writing letters is a good way to practice good penmanship! lol