Do you have a gas mower or an electric one?

Which do you prefer? Why? I'm thinking seriously of getting an electric one when this one kicks the bucket (which should be soon) LOL Basically with the cost of gas it has to be more economical to have an electric one. Of course once I price them I may change my mind! LOL
@Gemmygirl1 (2871)
Well, you still have to pay for the electricity you use with an electric one, there are risks too - like not seeing the cord & mowing over it - that could get a little nasty. We don't have a lot of lawn so we have an electric trimmer, it's just easier for us with one of them - it's electric though. It depends on how much lawn you have to cut - gas for a mower wont cost you a lot & if you don't have much to do, then a tank will last a fair while anyway!
Oh, you could always get a manual one, the ones with the blades that only spin when you push it along. It might take a little longer to mow but it wont cost you anything to run & they're much cheaper to buy!
I used one of those for years!!!! I loved it!
@emeraldisle (13158)
I had never heard of an electric before today. I've always had a gas powered one. I can see why one might want an electric though with the rising cost of gas. I have no idea what they cost either. We have a cheap gas powered one. It does the job thankfully.
My dad loves his electric one but it can be a bit of pain with the cord and such.
a have a gas one-my father tried an electric one once,and he spent more time patching the cord from accidentally running it over than cutting the grass LOL
LOL.... that's definitely a hazard!
@mimatexas (1840)
I prefer the gas lawn mower. It doesn't waste too much gas and you can move it wherever you want.
@Gumball (793)
I had 2 gas mowers that I gave away when I moved out of the house I sold. Didn't have room for them and didn't need them anyway since my new place includes lawn mowing in the rent agreement.
We have a gas one and I know my boyfriend prefers gas to electric due to the stablity, durable and life of a mower.
Honestly I'm not sure on the pricing of an electric vs recargeable vs a gas mower. My hubby of course prefers the gas because it looks like a nicer cut and does a great job. However, me I prefer my lil Scott's mower no gas no electricity required. It just doesn't look as nice as a gas cut lawn.
@olliekobra1 (1826)
I think that you are better to get a petrol mower they tend to last longer and you get a better cut with an electric one you have to make sure that you dont mow over the wire as it will damage it.
@pandaeyes (2068)
We have an electric mower. We used to have petrol a long time ago but they always seem to go wrong and then there is nothing to cut the grass with LOL. Now we have two, one is an old hover mower with a very long lead and the other is a rotary mower with wheels which is much lighter to lug around but not as big a blade. Our grass area is quite big ,about 90 feet by 40.
@rjl1989 (190)
We have about a quarter of an acre and go through about 2 gallons a year i think, so i think the price of the mower would make more difference. Also if you have a big garden the lead for the electric mower might not be long enough without lots of extension cables which could be a pain to get out every time and move out of the way.
I have a gas push mower, my hubby has an ancient ride-on that he likes to tinker with, and I have my old fashioned Scotts push mower! I'm afraid of messing around with gas and oil so I prefer the push mower! Plus it's safer to use when you are outside with the kids, it doesn't make noise and theres no engine to turn off so you can focus on what you are doing and see where the kids are + if you stop walking it stops cutting.
@wakinsey (141)
I haven't looked at many of the electric mowers. I prefer my gas mower, but if an electric one can give me the same power, then I would consider it.
@cipher2004 (1184)
Since our state just passed a 50% rate increase for gas and electric(by they way it was increased 33% last year) and gas prices are soring I would say neither.I have an old push mower with blades.Might be time to get them sharpened.
@chertsy (3817)
I have used both, and honestly I like them the same. The cord with the electric can be a huge pain, when you have no one to help keep it out of the way. I would borrow the electric sometimes from my neighbor when I needed to mow my lawn really fast. We have a huge back yard though, and it would take at least two cords put together to mow it all. We recently bought a new gas mower and on a full tank of gas can mow our entire lawn, instead of having to refuel every so often with our old one. If you have a small yard, with not a lot to mow. I would say yea go for a electric mower. Now if you have a large yard with a lot to mow, I would go gas. Or just call around and see who charges the less to mow your lawn twice a month, and then see which would be cheaper. 1, electric mower 2, electric mower, 3, have someone else do it. Then go with the cheapest, also take in account the gas, or the raise in electric bills. We mow twice a month, mostly because once it's time to mow again it rains, lol.
@Debs_place (10551)
I had electric for a while...and I always had to have extension cords and electrical tape handy...for when I ran over the cord. And also, the longer the extension cord..the less power it seemed to have...I guess the wire provides resistance making the lawn mower less effective. Don't forget..electricity has a cost too.
@KrisNY (7609)
lol-- lawn mower? Well we own over 5 mowable acres of land so we have gas mowers- We own 2 riding John Deere loawn mowers, 1 push Johnny mower, and 1 zero-turn mower! The zero-turn is the best! Cuts mowing time in half-- love it. So what you have to plug your mower in and then mow-? What a pain that would be. How big is your yard? Do you have to use extension cords or what? I've never seen an electric lawn mower.
@Thoroughrob (11771)
I have a gas mower. I have to agree that electric seems to be economical. I do not have any idea what they cost.
@jerryn (818)
We have a gas mower. I don't think an electric mower will save much money because it will just add to the electric bill.