Why Zen?

@derek_a (10898)
I thought I would start a discussion on Zen, that may lead to a series of discussion. Feel free if you want to add questions or anything at all. I have been keeping a Zen blog for some time, if anybody wants to take a look.. http://piecesofzen.blogspot.com Zen is not for everyone as it tend to be very paradoxical at times. One day you can say one thing, the next day that same thing can be completely turned on its head, yet both can be true. This is because Zen communicates through experiential practices more than intellectual analysis. To capture this spirit of this wonderful and weird philosophy I'll begin here... Each person can be said to have his/her own Zen. My Zen is about acceptance of what manifests in my zazen (Zen mediation in which one focuses the mind on the breaths as they enter and leave the body). This could be (and often is) the mind's refusal to be stilled in this way, but once it is, the peace experienced is indescribable. Zen is certainly not a religion, but a way of life, yet it's teachings are almost identical to many teaching of great religious masters. Being experiential a practitioner learns compassion naturally from his/her own practice and not because someone says/has written that he/she *should* be good. I relate to that form of teaching as "shouldism". Thinking now of my next post, if there is one, I will go deeping into my perception of what acceptance really is and what can happen if you practice it. Hopefully it may be an interesting discussion, or not!
@add_im (2712)
Yes, I believe that this is indeed a very interesting discussion for me personally because what I believe in Zen in my personal life is that Zen itself is not some kind of excitement, but concentration on our usual everyday routine, and like what your Zen is in life 'acceptance', that is indeed a good attitude in one's life. As for me, I have noticed that my Zen is always be a 'Peacemaker' in the house and even everywhere i've placed myself...I always be that way to many bringing peace to everyone's life around me. Thanks for such great post!
@derek_a (10898)
Thanks for posting. Yes, indeed Zen is about mindfulness of our everyday life. Total focus on what we do, even if it's sweeping the yard. In fact, you may have heard of a student who went to his Zen master and asked, "What is my best way to enlightenment?" and the master replied. "Carry water, chop sticks. Enlightenment." I feel that acceptance is very much linked to mindfulness as we have to pay attention when it seems our minds are "running riot" out of control. Acceptance in that way, is a form of discipline in mindfulness.