wedding gown $ 50

@LittleMel (14055)
I have a shop selling wedding items but I don't provide wedding gowns because they are too expensive and I have to renovate the place before I can put them in. Then one of my customers said that someone told her that she could get a wedding gown for $ 50 and that there is a shop full of gowns of this price. Based on her description of the gown (she hasn't been there herself, this is what her friend told her) I felt suspicious about the price. I'm not saying wedding gowns have to be expensive, but I've just never heard of a new gown with that price before, even outdated one. What do you think? Do you know anyone wear a new gown of that price? This is just the price of the gown, not including shipping and alteration.
I know you may not think to look here, but the thrift shops have racks of wedding gowns, brides-maids dresses, and prom dresses. I live in a fairly rural area, and the two thrift/consignment shops near me have anywhere from 15 to 20 wedding gowns in them - gowns with veils, trains, and accessories. All the wedding dresses (and these are beautiful, like new condition) go for $69 at the one shop - at the other one, the prices vary from $50 to $75. I would think that anyone who would buy one would take it to the cleaners to freshen them up and make sure they are crisp and clean - if you needed alterations, it would be a whole heck of a lot cheaper than a brand new gown. I was looking the gowns over myself just for the fabric -- I have cut up wedding gowns to make quilts out of them -- there is a lot of fabric in a full gown and they do make a lovely quilt - at $50 to $75 you can't beat the price for a dress to wear or to cut up! lol
@LittleMel (14055)
but they are not new right? they look like new but not really. maybe this is what the shop sells. LOL no that really is very good price for cut up too :) I have nothing against low price gowns, but I just never heard of that price for completely new unworn gown so I'm just curious if anyone on here knows. Thanks for responding!
No they are not new - maybe worn once for the wedding, so they are not custom made. I can't imagine a dress selling that low if it is new. They'd get so much business they couldn't keep up! lol
@LittleMel (14055)
YEA exactly that's what I thought! by the way I just saw your star 100/100 that's really cool congrats for being perfect mylotter
@polachicago (19075)
there are always deals for everything you want to buy...just name your price...and.... look at this: http://houston.craigslist.org/clo/329417039.html I found this in 5 seconds after reading your post...
@LittleMel (14055)
OK I can see that it's only a few that are new. But this store is full of it, she said. I just don't think all of them are new
@LittleMel (14055)
I know there are honest sellers, so it could be the customer getting too excited that she found a bargain. I think it's great, new gown at that price :) but over here most people would be sceptical
@mamasan34 (6521)
I believe that t his is a consignment shop or a thrift store taht sells these gowns at such low prices. They must be used gowns. You really should look into selling those type of gowns in your store! It is a good sell and many women do either rent gowns or buy used gowns to save money on the wedding expenses. They try to make the gown their own with alterations. It is not such a bad idea!
@LittleMel (14055)
Yes it sounds like a good idea, I'll think about it
@LittleMel (14055)
I know a bridal shop owner who told me most people here like to buy and not to rent gowns. It's only a small town and she has the business for over 10 years now.
@adidas7878 (2013)
gown for $50, the only place you can find one that cheap is thift shop or flea market, maybe if you are really lucky, garage sale maybe? sometime i cant even find a pair of shoes cheaper than $50 dollars let alone a wedding gown.
@LittleMel (14055)
the material of wedding gown alone is costly, without train or accesories. Over here new gown from a designer will be around $ 1500 or more, if not designer then maybe about $ 500, but certainly $ 50 I never heard of it
Hello LittleMel I think that is impossible. 50$ is to cheap for a wedding gown, I am sure that the gown is not new, maybe already use for 3 or more. This price is really surprised me too, if i can buy a new gown in that price, i can changes my gown 3 times in my wedding LOL Maybe you can get it on China, i heard that they sell cheap wedding gown and its beautiful. I heard this from my brother's girlfriend. God bless you
@LittleMel (14055)
I heard this too, $ 50 from China, but then the shipment and then custom, it will be well over $ 50. It's only cheaper there because of the currency rate and cheaper labour rate. If I meet this customer again I will ask her where the shop is and see it for myself. Thanks for the response!
Honestly, unless you are in Guam, Mexico, or possibly the Caribbean, I don't think a weddng dress that costs only fifty dollars would be of any good. There has got to be something wrong with it. Maybe once you put it on the seams come undone. It could be anything. If something is too good to be true, it probably is. On the other hand, I could be wrong. I just don't think I am in this case.
@LittleMel (14055)
That's what I thought. I know weddings can be costly and I don't see anything wrong with renting the gown. But to say that a brand new gown would cost $ 50 I just don't think so, at least not here :)