Were You/Are You an Only Child?

@pyewacket (43962)
Just wondering how many people here were only children, and if you were, did you wish you had brothers or sisters? I was an only child, so was my mother...and growing up I was so envious of my peers who had siblings...In fact, kids used to think I was a bit odd for being an "only"
@pilbara (1436)
I think it is one of those things where people often want what they don't have - if you're an only you wanted siblings and if you had siblings there are times when you wished it was just you. I am one of 3 - I have 2 sisters, 1 older 1 younger. My older sister was mums favourite and my younger was dad's. They admitted this in a conversation we had a few years ago, but a 30yo can understand this whereas a child cannot. I never heard of anyone thinking being an only child was odd. I would consider those people to be odd for thinking that way.
@pyewacket (43962)
I've heard that so many times from friends who did have siblings..a lot did actually envy me--saying there were always sibling rivalry..and you were the middle child..that's usually the hardest from what I understand..
@rosie_123 (6118)
Well I was also an only child, and so was my Mother, - but conversely I never felt sad about it. In fact rather than envying my school friends with siblings, I actually pitied them, because they always seemed to have family fights and arguments between themselves, whilst my life was much quieter and more easy-going. Plus, of course. my family never had any money troubles and could always afford to send me on school trips, buy me toys etc, whereas those with more kids obviously had more problems making "ends meet". I loved my childhood - I was really close to both my parents, and must admit related much more to other adults (neighbours/older relatives etc) than to kids my own age, who I tended to find immature - presumably because I was always treated as a little adult at home and not a kid! I was also quite advanced academically, which the teachers said was because my parents had more time at home to teach me to read and write etc before I went to school. So, all in all, no - I do not regret being an "only child" at all. I certainly didn't feel "odd" - perhap because there are a lot of only gholdren in the UK, so I really wasn't that far away from the "norm". By the way - I love the French descripton of only child which is "l'enfant unique" - when I was a child it always made me feel extra special:-))
@pyewacket (43962)
My we're cut out of the same mold...not only were you an only child but your mom too..just like me--and like you, I seemed to relate to older people too, rather than my peers my age when I was a kid--Oh and I love the French way of saying only child..will have to remember that...Uh..Parlez vous fran├žais???
@rosie_123 (6118)
Oui - je parle fran├žais:-)) Languages are one of my best (perhaps only!!!) talents - though having an English father, a Belarussian Mother and an Argentine partner, means I rather have no choice in the matter!! Most of my life I have had to be bi-lingual at home - first with my Mum as a child, and later with my partner who spoke very little English when he first came here!
@susieq223 (3742)
I have one sister who is nine years older than I. So in a way I was raised as an only child. She and I are very close now, though. I am glad I have a sister. My mother had 13 brothers and sisters. We used to have a lot of family reunions.
@pyewacket (43962)
I always envied people from large families--so besides your mother having a lot of brothers and sisters you had they extended family too for get togethers...my must have been crowded!!..and goodness still awake..tsk tsk
@easy888 (10406)
Hello,pyewacket,i have a older brother and i think it is good that i can make more friends from him and he can know some of my friends. Most of my friends are female and his friends are mostly male,may be we will find our partners from friends of each other. When I was a child,i always play with him,i would not feel alone,even when i grown up,i could always talk with him for some secret things which i could not let our parents know.lol.
@claudia413 (4284)
I have 3 sisters, and I'm the oldest. Growing up, I thought they were a pain and often asked my parents why they ever had them...LOL. Now that we're all adults (at least most of the time), we really get along great and are very good friends. I never felt that any of my friends who were "only" children were odd. In fact, at times I really envied them. But, looking back now, I'm really glad that I have these sisters and many cousins also. We have a very large extended family and love to get together as often as we can.
@pyewacket (43962)
From what I got of my friends as a kid growing up, most thoughts their siblings to be a pain...LOL
I was an only child up to the age of five, but I gradually became the oldest of four. My mother really spread us out, so my sister, who's the only one I have any contact with, is fifteen years younger than I am. It's kind of funny that she was just a little kid when I was getting married, but now we're friends with a lot in common.
@Ravenladyj (22992)
no I'm not...at least not with my adoptive family...I'm the youngest with them and IF I have siblings from by biological mother or father I'd be the oldest but I dont know if any exist (siblings I mean) and wont find out, if ever until end of 2007 possibly 2008
My mother was an only child and she liked it, but resented her parents for not doing some of things she really wanted. I was close to being an only child since my sibling was 8 years older than myself. I have to admit that when I was growing up there were not many only children. There were some extremely large familes but most were with two to four children.
I was an only child until I turned 13, then my parents adopted a 3 month old boy. It was wonderful until I realized that as far as my father was concerned I no longer existed. He then had his "man"child. I lost my identity as a human altogether. When my father introduced his family he would say, "This is my wife Flo, my son, Bill, and our Built-In-Babysitter". If the people he was making the introduction to did not ask my name, they never knew it. Obviously, this question evokes some strong and bitter feelings for me even now. LOL ~Donna
@pyewacket (43962)
Ohhh...that was rotten of your father!
Even approaching 60 years old and my father long passed, I still have Daddy issues!~ LOL ~donna
@pyewacket (43962)
Well my mom passed away last summer..ours wasn't a wonderful relationship...I did feel a bit melancholy this past Mother's Day but only because the relationship didn't HAVE to be that way..but my mom chose to be..uh..difficult??? I think I'll have mom issues for a long time
I have two older sisters. But, they are so much older than me, that it felt like I was an only child. I didn't mind. My husband is an only child, and he had imaginary friends.
@pyewacket (43962)
LOL----I had a lot of imaginary friends too! Do you get along with your sisters?? I'm always curious..LOL
Far from it for me. I have a dozen brothers and sisters. My granddaughter is an only child, but since both my girls and their children live with me, she never wants for company.
@pyewacket (43962)
Did you all get along as kids?? My..that's a large family!!!
@lynboobsy11 (11347)
I'm only one child, when I was a child I always wish to have a brother to he my playmate or someone who will protect me from others playmate who wants to quarrel with me,specially when I'm in teenage yrs. when I have a little problems that I don't want to tell to my parents, I'm longing to have somebody who can gives me some advise. Thats why when I got married I promised to myself that I will have a child atleast two so that they will not feel desame I used too.
@msjigga (866)
I grew up as an only child My parents were divorced. Mother only had me and my father had another child my brother. I hardly seen my brother. I use to always wish my Mom would have another child. It was always so quiet in my house growing up so I use to often play imaginary friend with my baby dolls. I use to envy most of my friends because they had sibblings and I did not.