How do you turn off your negative "tape recorder"?

@estherlou (5017)
Some days it seems we just have to have a pity party and turn on that "tape recorder" in our minds that puts those wrong thoughts going around and around. You know the ones... "You're going to stay this way the rest of your life"; "There is no hope for change"; "It's impossible!"; "You might as well give up...don't even try"; "You are trapped in your problems". If you listen for any length of time, the words will drag you down into depression and if you're not careful, into despair. Over the years I've learned not to listen and to turn my thoughts in other directions, but once-in-awhile...I succumb. I turn to prayer or try to read to take my mind in another direction...either the Bible or something by Joyce Meyer or Joel Osteen or Charles Stanley. Thanking God for my family, for our health, for a roof over our heads, for a job, for His presence in my life...all helps to turn me around. I watched Joyce Meyer's show this morning on t.v. and funny enough...she was teaching on the "Battlefield of the mind". LOL. Our battles usually begin in our minds and how we think will affect how we act and how we live. So! I didn't stay too long at my pity party, but it was not a great day. How do you turn off your negative tape recorder and turn yourself around?
@foxyfire33 (10009)
When this starts happening to me the first thing I do is to verbally tell myself to stop. After that I just continually remind myself of the positives that may have come from that situation or of whatever ways that the situation was out of my control and how I did the best I could under the circumstances. If my "tape recorder" seems to be particularly loud that day I begin praying for God to show me how to heal. Often I think that I should pray first every time I have an "episode" but then when they occur my only thought is to tell them to stop. That is something I think I should change but I also think that the idea to verbally tell myself to stop was an answer to a prayer I had prayed for so many days and nights back when these thoughts were almost always completely out of control.
@whyaskq (7532)
Now that you reminded me, I don't remember having a "negative" tape recorder playing for so long. Perhaps it is because of what I have been doing that I have forgotten those thoughts ever existed. Thank myLot for making me forget those thoughts as I need positive thinking to give encouragement or share my views with mylot. Or maybe it is because life has been good to me that those thoughts never hit at me anymore. It is still the mind that matters. Keep having positive affirmations.
Hi estherlou. I go looking for new music, play music or compile some songs to give out to someone. Think of someone else's problems, my blessings, thank God. If that doesn't work, I look for company. I usually forget or if not entirely forget, then push negative thoughts when in the company of others. Children are the best "switches" to turn that recorder off. Running after them and joining their silly antics. I love having lots of people and children around when days like that happen. Looking out for other people won't give me time to dwell on myself :) Thanks and good day!
@ElicBxn (60895)
I wish I knew. If I don't have something coming in from outside it goes on & on in a negative tape loop. And sometimes reading or watching the tv doesn't even help!
@gewcew23 (8011)
I just do a lot of praying and I have a book that has scriptures in it that is for specific things you feel or are going through. If you would like I can look some up for you and get back to you. I have jury duty and I have to leave in like and hour so I won't have time this morning to get back to you but I can try to tonight.
@charms88 (7541)
Aside from seeking guidance by reading the Bible everyday, I'm also reading a book "Positive Energy" by Dr. Judith Orloff. I like this book very much because it teaches us to stay positive and to avoid any negativity around us. She called this negative thoughts as negative vampires. These are the things or people who can sucked our energy dry. She has also formulated 10 essential prescriptions for boosting our energy and combating energy vampires. Check this book out. Its informative and helpful.
@gabs8513 (48715)
I don't I will think about things and even cry When I get like that I do not want to talk to anyone and I can't concentrate on anything I will sit and just think and wonder how things will turn out how is my Life going to be why does it always put me on trial. Why has it let me waste 21 years in a Marriage that was never going to change So you see Estherlou I sit and think, I cry and then after a few hours I pull myself together and think well thats Life I will then go to bed for an hour to shut the world out
@suscan (1955)
everybody has their moments when they can't keep those negative thoughts at bay. I have always been thankful that I was able to control them most of the time. I agree with you that prayer helps, somehow taking it to the Lord in Prayer is often a relief. Music helps me,I like to turn up the volume and sing loudly,then I stop pitying myself and pity the people who have to listen to me sing.
I pursue busyness, and stifle that voice. Your way is better. One reason I stay dedicated to singing in choir is that the practices fill my mind with an alternative. It is not unusual for me to wake up in the morning with some of my music running in my mind. I do not choose it, God chooses it for me. It will pop into my mind when I drive or other times as well.
@estherlou (5017)
I started listening to Klove radio at night to help drown out hubby's snoring, but it also puts christian thoughts and values and messages in my mind as we sleep and I feel that is helpful! I sometimes catch myself singing one of the songs I heard as I slept when I have to get up for a potty break!
I can tell you' someone telling you to "Just snap out of it will not work." I have had that. I try to keep busy but I am disabled and we are having money problems so right now I am having a problem with those negative tapes. I use to have lots of trouble but not so much anymore until recently, like the last two weeks. We have had two deaths in the family, my twin was just diagnosised with MS, I have something the Dr's do not know what is, but I am disabled from it, and my hubby and I cannot hardly pay our bills. I am really bogged down with the tapes. I am an RN and if I could work I could be making 35-45dollars per hour and that would be such a great thing. My social security is less than a quarter than what I was making when I was working. For 20 years I made more money than my hubby and I supported us now he is and he is making OK money but now what I can. I have called independant living, they are an organization which helps disabled people go back to work. I have some questions. Praying only makes me more depressed. I do beleive in God, but when I am depressed it is hard not to hear the tape that I am not good enough for gods love. So I need to work through my depression. I will in the next couple of days I am sure I will get a grip on things and figure out what to do.
@estherlou (5017)
Yes, anyone telling you to "snap out of it" or "get over it" is not being helpful at all. Even when we recognize that we are having a bad day/week/month...some days it is easier than other days to stay strong. I feel sometimes in the really hard times, those are times we can grow spiritually since those are the times I turn to God even more even if it is to tell Him how hard it is right now. Working through your depression? whew! I've been depressed a lot over the years...I've been diagnosed as clinically depressed before, but don't think about it much now that my prayer life is stronger. Don't know how to "work through the depression!" Just remember that God's love is unconditional...He loves us right where we are in whatever mess we're in! I guess the best thing is to try not to dwell on all of the negative and how tough things are and how you can't seem to see any solutions...things always get better! Good luck on the Independant living. I said a prayer for you guys! We all have to stick together!
@coffeeshot (3786)
I think of people who are much less fortunate than me and instantly i feel no more pity for myself.
Honestly?? I usually stay in my pity party, sometimes FF the "tape recorder" to the "good" parts. I can be in a good mood and something can upset me. I may not say something at first, but it festers inside me until I have to say something. Normally by then, I have collected a bunch of stuff on the way and it snowballs. When I do catch it, God is definitely the only help containing it.
@peaceful (3301)
Most people don't realize that they have a negative playback going on and on... and they keep feeding it with energy and it keeps on feeding... Time for a strict news-fast and a walk in the woods, if you ask me... these things will do wonders, if you let them... As tough as it can be, the more these beneficial actions are practiced, the better you become at them... sort of a Life-saving First Aid course! :)
@magica (3710)
• Bulgaria
It seems that this is not just bad hair day only, it`s bad hair period who continue mounths...Whatever i do,it sucks:-( And then more, the people arround u treat you like a user.But i am a warrior, i fight. I talk to myself and try to encourage myself, to remember all my positive characteristics i own.
@PunkyMcPunk (1477)
I love your wording!! Yes, I think that we all have a tape recorder of the negative. I let mine run my life for awhile and got so depressed and down. I had no self esteem, everyday I would wake up and rather than saying hey! it's a new day I would be thinking great, what's gonna go wrong today? I sat down one day and thought about my life, don't ask me why, and I came to the conclusion that my life really isn't all that bad! So now when I get that negative monster sneaking up behind me and whispering in my ear I stop and think about everything I DO have. Everything that I have done! Everything that I am going to do and then it's not so bad. I am a successful worker. I have been with this company for over a year, I can do any job within this building well. My stats at work are amoung the top tier. My wage is above average and the work itself is not taxing at all. I have a wonderful son who is growing and learning and turning into such a beautiful thoughtful individual. He is such a joy to be around and play with. He is one of my ultimate pick me ups. I have a wonderful life partner. We don't get to see eachother nearly as much as I want but I trust him without question, he has never harmed me, he loves me I love him, he treats me like none other and we have such a great future ahead of us. I ahve a few select friends and although we don't see eachother much anymore because we find ourselves spread across several countries when we do get together the laughs don't stop! I ahve a roof over my head, I have food in my cupboards, I have land that I own. At the end of the day I have a bit of money in my pocket. I don't live in an area that makes me fear for my life (from bad people or natural disasters), while my government isn't the best one out there it still functions without dissent. I've got a great life!
@sigma77 (5385)
Yes, the negative self-talk does so much damage. When we fail to see what we are thinking, we spend forever on the treadmill of life and wonder why things are always the same. You have to make a conscious effort to become aware of these negative thoughts and replace them with more productive thoughts. I have become aware of my thinking to the point where I can instanly alter my thought process. It is a constant battle, but letting the negative thoughts control your mind creates not so good results. There is always help available from God to turn things around. I firmly believe that you get what you think about and that more negative gives you more of the same and more positives gives you more of that.
@kelly60 (4548)
Usually I turn to music and prayer to help me out of these times. Sometimes it helps faster than other times. Sometimes it takes a good long nap, or maybe even a few days before I start feeling better, but eventually I will come around.
Joyce has a book out right now on the battle field of the mind!