Is being single less stressful than married life?

@mamasan34 (6521)
We were talking today at work and some of the ladies thought it was a much more carefree life before they got married. So the question weighed on my mind, is being single less stressful than married life? What do you think?
@bluewings (3857)
Being single is easier than being married.You have to shoulder less responsibilities and worry less about which of your actions will stress your soulmate ,but being single you miss the fun of being in a committed relationship.You might miss those happy moments.It's less stressful being single,but being in a relationship is more appealing ,not just to singles but even to ones who are already in a relationship.However,there are singles who enjoy being singles,lol.
@mamasan34 (6521)
My brother is one of those singles. I believe he is a permanent bachelor. He just can't compromise or give in to someone else. He says he likes being single because he doesn't have the worries I have or the work I have to do. Sometimes I don't understand that concept, but relationships aren't for everyone.
@bluewings (3857)
I too understand that being single is like having less expectations and the freedom of being yourself irrespective of how others might perceive you.
@mamasan34 (6521)
It is good that you realize that you prefer single life and don't just go by what people think is the norm. I believe that everyone needs to live their life the way they feel comfortable!
@RenaeT (688)
My life was definitely less stressful when I was single. I raised my son through his teen years alone and it was very wonderful. Then, I met my husband!! Life became exciting, stressful, busy, and an adventure that I wouldn't trade for anything in the world! Ya, my life was less stressful, but I had nobody to come home to, nobody to wake up with, nobody to bring me coffee in the morning, nobody to go to church with, nobody to talk to if I was home, nobody to laugh with, watch tv with, or even argue with. It sounds like I was lonely. I wasn't . . . but boy, when I got married to my husband, I never knew what I'd been missing!! I'd been married two times before and was not interested in doing it again, but I the third time for me was a CHARM!! I got my one in a million man. I LOVE my life!
@mamasan34 (6521)
That is great to hear! I too have found my third time charm. I was not interested in seeking a relationship and actually took solace in raising my daughter alone and enjoying less stress, but I was a bit lonely too. Not enough to make me take the plunge too quickly hahaha! But your right, I didn't have anyone to wake up to, to drink coffee with, to share walks with, to just watch tv with or to have a nice quiet conversation over dinner with. I wouldn't give the stress of marriage and the craziness I go through for anything! Thanks for sharing your thoughts as always I enjoy your comments!
@RenaeT (688)
Wow, we have lots in common huh?? Thanks for enjoying my posts! I enjoy yours too.
@mamasan34 (6521)
We do share many things in common! It is nice to know that there are other people in this world that I have things in common with, it is all too often that I feel like an oddball! LOL
@Marie2473 (8521)
• Sweden
Beeing in a relationship, married or not is definately more stressful than beeing single. When u are single, all you have to care about is yourself, while in a relation u have another person to think about all the time. U need to compromise, sometimes fight and discuss, however I would prefer a relation before singlehood at any time =)
@mamasan34 (6521)
Me too! I definitely prefer to be in a relationship rather than be alone, I know it can be so much more stressful, but it is so much more rewarding too! Thanks for commenting!
@mahmah (436)
Personally I think that it is different for everyone. I think it depends on their personal preferences and needs. I am single (and have been now for three years) and I prefer life this way. I was married for 1 year (we dated 10 years before we got married) and it was just too much on me. I barely want to take care of myself let alone someone elses needs. So at this point I prefer to be alone, if something better comes along, than so be it, but I am not looking for it. LOL
@mamasan34 (6521)
As long as you know what your needs are then you go girl! I think that it is necessary to know one's self before moving on to a marriage and having to commit your whole being to it. You have to be ready and willing to make those promises and vows. I believe that everyone has their own way of living life and if you like the single life and it suits you, more power to you as long as you are satisfied and happy.
@wonderful1 (2076)
I think it is more stressful when you are in married life. You have to respect your inlaws. Frankly, you don't know them very well. And you have to visit more and more unfamiliar relatives with too much money. It is a burden if you have a big wedding. So I want to have a simple marriage. My bf and I live in two different cities. So we have to hold two weddings in two cities. How troublesome it is! Now we have no enough money to hold a wedding. We have to work hard this year.
@mamasan34 (6521)
That is a very difficult sitaution that you are in. Having a simple marriage is good. I did not have a big wedding and I am very happy because I spent the money on other things such as paying bills. I believe the money that it costs adds more stress to the new marriage. Inlaws are a trial as well. But I believe that for me marriage is where I want to be no stress or stress!
@QnAQueen (555)
i don't think one is more stressful than the other. both states of being will have stressful situations unique to each one. for single people, living alone may have it's bad moments such as when you're getting chores done and there's no one around to help. for married people, on the other hand, living with someone under one roof can be rather stressful, too, because of differences in thinking from time to time...
@mamasan34 (6521)
That is true. I too believe that they have pro's and con's to each side of it. It is just how you feel about being single or being married/relationship that makes the difference in how you feel it is worth to you.
@limcyjain (3523)
Yes being single is surely less stressfull than married life. you surely have much less responsibilites to manage. No children to take care off. No need to keep a balance between married and professional life. No need to entertain your spouses family. But then you have no partner with whom you can share your happinees and sorrows. No one whom you can truly say is mine. So you have to make a choice.
@mamasan34 (6521)
I think to live one way you have to give up certain things over the other way. Living alone, you don't have to worry about anyone but yourself, yet you live alone and wont' be able to share your happiness or sadness with someone, to be with someone you have to worry about consideration and other things with and for your partner but you can share the burden of daily life. So, it is a choice.
@easyzheng (666)
In different culture, the treatment for being single might be different. Though in my district, people are getting more tolerant for the single persons (always are female), but still some would gossipe about their reasons of being single. I think this would bring presure on those single women, what's more, I found all the single women around me always look older or more languish than their peers. So I guess they are more stressful than others.
@mamasan34 (6521)
Yes, it is becoming more acceptable to be a single woman, but in the past as you stated it was a stigma to them. Why were they not with someone, then people thought there must be something wrong with her or him because he/she wasn't with someone.
@jazmin08 (173)
ofcourse being single is less stressfull because you only take care of yourself,you dont have to asked permission to anyone and ofcourse you can do what ever you want hahahaha
@mamasan34 (6521)
Yes, you can do whatever you want, but you have to do it alone, hahahha!
I would think being single is far more stressful. Dating and bills and being alone. But if you're married or co-habitating, you share everything. Happiness, sadness, work, bills, life, everything. That's not stressful at all. Stress only comes from discontent, miscommunication and children. If you don't have any of those, I don't see what the big problem is.
@mamasan34 (6521)
Gloom that is a very good way of looking at it. We all have stress in our life, but it is up to us how to deal with it, we have partners to share that with and it does make it easier. Thanks for commenting!
@Mathurin (491)
being single and young? it is definitely less stressful than married life. being single and old? now that's a question i will find the answer out years from now if i keep on believing single life is a bliss. it may be less stressful because you don't have a partner to take care of, no children to think of, no worries about milk, toys, clothes, educational plans etc, ... but what bugs me most is, when i ask these married people and with children, they will say it is worth the stress they are having.
@mamasan34 (6521)
If you asked me I would tell you the same thing. Married life is worth the stress, because the rewards far outweigh the stress and responsibilities, at least for me it is! Thanks for commenting.
@Gorgeous24 (1091)
Yes the single life is less stressful especially if you have kids. When you married you and your partner are constantly bickering as how to discipline the children, or how much money you spend, where your going..marriage can be sooo stressful. I would prefer to be single..live my life how I want, not how someone thinks I should.
@mamasan34 (6521)
That is true, hahaha! We bicker all of the time about how to discipline our daughter. Marriage can be stressful especially in this area, but it is very rewarding as well. My husband seems to be able to sense when I need help with disciplining. He also is able to assist me in other things like doing things around the house. So, to me the rewards of being in a relationship outweigh the stresses.