Pets With Allergies?!

Yes that's right, you read it properly, i'm talking about pets WITH allergies here, not pet allergies that us people have. Have you ever had a pet with allergies? Would you care to elaborate? how did the pet react, was it on going or was it just a one time reaction and such? What did you do to help the allergies or stop them? I know it sounds odd, but the thing is, it's true. My german shepherd has an allergy to metal, like bowls and such, she used to eat out of this cute little metal bowl that we got her, and then her chin started getting bumpy and rashy, that's when we found out by talking to a vet that it was an allergy. Also our late Collie Archy was allergic to cats i think, because when he was around them his eyes would go all red and puffy for a while, that went away on it's own until he was coming to his last days, when it came back just like it had been before.
I am unsure if my cats have any allergies, but I have had cats before that were allergic to fleas, which is bad, especially here in Texas where they are rampart, but she would break out in a terrible rash and scratch all the time.
awww, that sucks really bad! Well it's nice not to see any allergy signes in the ones you have now though!
It is a blessing with the ones I have that have no allergies
Sleepy Charlie - sleepy charlie on the couch
Yeppers, SpitFire, Our 4-legged friends get allergies too! My beloved Charlie is a Juicer! I was hoping to never have to give his secret away, but I'm spilling guts now. He has to take steroids every other day or his hair begins to fall out in huge clumps. At first we (by "we" I mean the vet) thought it was an allergy to fleas, but the clumping and falling out hair continued way into the winter months. I have found a homeopathic remedy that I am trying and am trying to back off a little with the 'roids because they can do s much damage to his liver; but he is totally miserable when he goes through those periods. ~Donna
oh gosh, that's sad, awwww, i'm sorry hun that's gotta be hard, there's many health stores for pets now too, maybe you can find something there, who knows, switching foods might even help, like from kibble or canned or whatever your feeding to something more natural.... Sorry to hear about that, poor thing....
Our dog snoopy used to have allergies to pollen just like people. I assume it would be pollen cause whenever my dad took him to this little field in the spring to do his business,he would sneeze and sneeze and sneeze.It's a wonder the poor dog didn't sneeze a lung out ,lol!
haha that reminds me of arch, every time i would spray febreese he would sneeze and sneeze and sneeze, ohhh and when i washed floors with pinesol, funny site, but i know the poor boy didn't like it one bit, i know how he feels i don't like having allergies either.
Unfortunatley we no longer have snoopy .we had to put him down as he had so much wrong with him but he gave us many laughs when he was alive. He would sneeze,shake his head,sneeze ,shake his head and in the mean time he's getting po'd because he 's sneezing so much.Sometimes he would get so frustrated he would sneeze and bark.
@carlaabt (3508)
My little dog has allergies. We got her from the humane society. She was in a solitary pen because they thought she had a cold, and they didn't want her to get the other pets sick. We took one look at her and wanted her right away. We've had her for two years, and she still sneezes herself silly sometimes. She's on an allergy medication during the spring and summer. She gets where she can't breathe if she runs too much.
@Bizziebod (3526)
Hi I believe it's quite common for pets to have allergies. My friends old dog was allergic to something that made her fur fall out and alot of dogs are allergic to fleas too!
@Woodpigeon (3710)
My dog had an allergy to something in his food. I must have switched him to every kind of food available, and used Lanitone additives, and all sorts of different things but nothing worked. Creams, shampoos, flea treatments.... His skin was dry and so flakey we couldn't brush him because he would be full of dandruff. We only realised after we moved it was soemthing in the area or the house, not the food, because it cleared up completely and never returned. He'd had the allergy for 8 years by that point, and for the last 7 hasn't. We never did figure out what it was, but I'm glad for his sake it is gone!
@emeraldisle (13158)
Our one cat Tabby has allergies. He gets all congested and his eyes water. The vet reccommend giving him over the countery human nose drops/spray. That's always fun to try and give to him. We use a generic of afrin but it does work on him, when he'll let me get them up his nose. He acts like I'm going to kill him when I give them to him. He gives me lots of love later on so I'm sure he knows it helps.
@Debs_place (10551)
Allergies is an understatement, my guys are a father-son team. They are sweet and wonderful and allergic to who knows what. Let's see - grain mites. Yes, all grain has grain mites. They get raw and itch in the summer, they chew on their skin until they bleed, I have blood spots on my bedding from them. The father (the black one) was a stud for a guide dog organization and was retired due to his allergies. When he went there for his physical, they asked if they could keep him for a few days to see if they can stop the itch. It has been over 2 weeks now and they can't find a way to stop the itch. My regular vet suggested some medication that would have cost $300 per month per dog. Don't know if that one would have worked, I could not afford it.
@evelynlyp (788)
• Japan
i never heard of pets having allergies, however its not suprising. back home it doesn't happen a lot because pedigrees aren't a must have. Usually people keep mongrels (stray dogs). they are healthier since they come from generations of strays. i would assume any of them with allergies won't live very long so only the healthy dogs gets to reproduce. i used to have a samoyed mixed. nothing wrong with him, being a mixed helps. my new dog is a mongrel. no health problems or anything. he hasn't got that habbit of biting shoes and stuff either.
@xbrendax (2668)
Yes, my poor little old cat, (Mouse) sneezes every time she gets around me but we want to be together so that's something we have to put up with!
@UDDERONES (888)
I think my dog has allergies. She is sneezing like crazy this time of year. I also have allergies. So I think it is possible she has allergies. She is a cocker spaniel and she is now 2.
@dlkuku (1936)
My dog has allergies, we haven't pinpointed exactly what she is allergic too, she will scratch and scratch until she pulls her hair out. The vet gave us antihystamines and omega 3 supplements to give her and it seems to be helping.
@amgine (226)
Dogs can have allergies as well, could be from a food they ate, a new shampoo or soap. One time our labrador, had an allergy with a new shampoo that we bought. She started itching like crazy and her skin became so flaky. We were advised not to use that shampoo again and to just go back to the old brand. =)