effect of English on mother tongue!

@tuhpaul (475)
English is the most important and widely spread communicative language.It is part of getting known in any aristocratic society.Does it mean that you forget your mother tongue? Will English make your mother tongue less important to you? If 'yes' why and if 'no' give reasons.
@wonderful1 (2076)
No, it doesn't make my mother tongue less important. I speak Chinese everyday and I read newspapers and watch TV everyday, so my mother togue is still my mother togue, I can't forget it in my life. I spend 4 hours on mylot every day, and I just write English here, I don't speak English everyday. It seems as an interest, but not main part in my life. Frankly, I don't learn Chinese everyday by heart. But what a language means? It is used to communicate with others. I hope to communicate with others who don't speak Chinese.
@tuhpaul (475)
It is glad to know that now a days you have valued your language to some extent.But could you be specific enough to say whether you value your mother tongue or not.You dont like speking chinese but does that mean that you hate your language?Its not the question of learning your language but valueing your language.
@gbolly54 (662)
• Nigeria
Thanks for your rating. However, if you read my post again, you will discover that the whole lot is devoted to a lamentation about people who abandon their mother tongue. I also mentioned that no nation can progress on a borrowed language. I also mentioned how I have encouraged my own children not to neglect their mother tongue. Once again, thanks for rewarding my contribution with a 'best response'.
@tuhpaul (475)
I understood your view about a borrowed language and i uphold your view about your mother tongue.
@gbolly54 (662)
• Nigeria
No doubt, English is a language of preferential choice worldwide. In my own country, it is our national language owing to our British colonial experience. However, the influence enjoyed by and the importance attached to English language in my country have turned out counter-productive. Our own various local languages are getting endangered from extinction because of the over-emphasis on English. No exam result, no matter how otherwise brilliant it is, is useful for work or college admission without at least a credit in English. I wonder if one needs a complete mastery of English grammar to excel at work or in business. This emphasis on English is even carried to a crazy level when the college certificates and degrees have had to be invalidated if the holders were later discovered to have got admissions in the first instance without at least a credit in English! Another crazy idea about English in my own locality here is a few parents prohibiting their children and wards from speaking local languages even at home. At the end of the day, a nation that abandons its own language, culture and values will hardly progress. It is the realization of this fact that has made the educational authorities flirt, half-heartedly though, with the idea of teaching pupils in their mother tongues at the elementary stage of their education. In summary, I give priority to my mother tongue, and encourage my children to do same, unsuccessfully though. To them, mother tongue connotes 'locality' while English language means civilization. Poor me!
@tuhpaul (475)
I am an Indian with various dialects and each dialect is valued by its people.No doubt you have shown your value towards your language but skipped your likking towards it.You have understood the value of English which made me mark you the best response bot how much do you understand your dialect?
@gbolly54 (662)
• Nigeria
Thanks. I feel more comfortable and more confident speaking in my mother tongue. Unfortunately, the latter has now become an adulterated version, because hardly can I speak a sentence of my mother tongue without inserting a word or two of English. Sadly, it can never be the same again. Have a nice day/evening/night.