Was this important enough to cut into the programming?

@reinydawn (11649)
Nothing irks me more than sitting down and watching the latest episode of Days and it's inturrepted with a Special News Break. Especially when it's something as non-urgent as Jerry Falwell passing away. I'm not saying this is not newsworthy, but it's not life-shattering enough to break into a regularly scheduled TV program to announce. It definitely wasn't THAT important if the first mention I had heard of it was at 7pm last night - when I wacth my recording of Days of Our Lives. I listen to the radio all day long and had not heard one mention of this. With newscasts at 6 & 7 am, noon, and every hour from 4-7pm, I think this could have waited. I'm curious to know if anyone out there was drastically effected by this news and thought it was urgent enough to break into the normal programming to announce?
@Michele21 (3094)
I didn't think it was, I was afraid it was some bombing or crazy shotter killing people or something. I don't like it when they interupt shows for news like that. But like you said it is sad, even though I didn't even know who he was. I don't want them interrupting the news when I die...hee hee =) I get annoyed when the interrupt for the weather too...I would rather just know what is going on in my shows =) If I want to know what is going on in the world I will watch the news.
@reinydawn (11649)
The first thing I did when I saw the news break start was look at my husband and ask "What did I miss today???" It was kinda good that I didn't really miss anything, but annoying that they had to interrupt the show for that.
I also looked at my hubby and said what now. I don't think it was necessary to brake into Days for that. Not that the mans passing was not important but it could have waited.
Here Here ... my local television just interrupted my daytime soaps for a transformer that went out, which is news, but 45 minutes of watching a fire, only a small portion of the city is without power so we need to watch the fire and not our television programs, drives me crazy, wish I could call the television channel and ask them what is the deal?? Give it a rest, sometimes the media is just too much to handle, 5 minutes is okay, but I am growing tired of it for the past 45 minutes, grrrrr
@reinydawn (11649)
Yes, what are the criteria for "Breaking news stories" and why can't they wait for one of the other 7 hours of news time throughout the day?
Wouldn't it be nice if they told us such a thing, but they would be the last ones to do that. I have called television stations before and reported complaints but it is always to an answering machine and you never know if it was deleted or taken for what it was worth.
I used to hate when they cut progams for something as stupid as a car chase on the freeway. Hello! Whats up with that? Why does that matter? Or something else NOT that important? Yeah it sucks I agree!
@reinydawn (11649)
This has really got me wondering what the criteria are for a "breaking" news story???
@bobbyjoe143 (1287)
i very rarely watch day time tv any more, but years ago i used to, and i remember when the twin towers were attacked, the program i was watching was interupted... i was so mad!!! yes that was a serious thing and needed to be broadcast, but still it did not interest me at the time, and every channel had it on, so i flicked of the tv and read a book instead. what actually made me mad was the fact that i am english, that was in america, and i really wasn't interested in international news at all... i have grown up a little since then, but still interuptions to the things you are used to are annoying.
@reinydawn (11649)
Yes, I remember when ALL broadcasts - tv as well as radio - were thrown out of whack because of 9/11. I think if you had been American that it would not have bothered you so much. It is a matter of perspective - what's important to one person is not important to another.
@sunshinecup (7881)
No it wasn't. Last time they broke in with a celeb report it was to tell us Mel Gibson was arrested. Big Whoop in my opinion. I think if it's not a warning of danger, they should stop breaking in on our shows.
@reinydawn (11649)
Oh Man! I musta not taped that day - happens sometimes. That's even more redicilous (sp)! I wonder if it's just daytime that gets treated this way? I can't recall the last time something of no immediate importance was bumped into the middle of a prime-time show.
@yvonne1968 (1065)
Nope nothing like that here in Ohio