Would rationing help?

The price of gas is horrendous! It seems that some people just won't conserve and perhaps help to lower cost by lowering demand. For instance, I have a neighbor who drives the largest SUV made. She makes 4 trips out each day to take her children to and from school.....which is one block away! Do you think rationing would help with the price of gas?
@mari61960 (4895)
Oh I don't think I would like rationing. But I'm doing my part... I have 3/4 of a tank left from 4 mos ago....lol Of course my car broked down after filling up and driving 30 miles...so ... Ok so that doesn't count, but I don't go anywhere unless I have to in my car. I combine trips and no longer take scenic routes or go rinding around looking for wild life in the evening or morning. My mother has to drive 24 miles each way to work every day...the gas is killing her. I'm still not back to work but my job is only 7 miles away..so that's a plus. I don't know if rationing would help..I think the price would still go up.
Wow, before reading your explanation....when I saw the "I have 3/4 of a tank from 4 months ago"...I was thinking, I WANT A CAR LIKE HERS!!! and WOW, SHE IS THE CONSERVATION GODDESS!!
@mari61960 (4895)
Haha...yea that's me the Conservation Goddess...lol
@inked4life (4227)
How about a carpool gas pump price. If you start a carpool at work then you can get issued some sort of govt. paperwork that entitles you to a certain % off of the regular gas price. I think something like that might work....it would encourage more people to carpool, cutting down on gas consumption and therefore lowering the demand which in turn (if the oil companies are telling the truth about how the prices are set) will lower the price.
Good idea! An incentive to conserve. Of course, as you said, the opererative words being "if the gas companies are telling the truth...."
@sigma77 (5385)
The only way you are going to get prices down is to stop using the product. There is so much wasted gas in this country, that is a primary reason that demand stays high. And you have to consider this is a wordwide problem. China and India are putting new vehicles on the roads by the 1000's every day. This keeps demand growing. In this country, gas is wasted by excess trips (similar to your neighbor), fast driving that wastes gas, poor mileage vehicles, poor maintenence and a number of other factors. Until you raise the price so high that people change their driving habits, you can forget about prices coming down and staying down. The best alternative if you can afford it is to get a vehicle that gets better mileage. For instance, if you are getting 20 miles per gallon and get a car that gets 30 mpg, you have cut your gas costs by 1/3.
@sigma77 (5385)
I forgot to mention that I think rationing would not work in the long run. Besides people would find ways to cheat the system.
@Debs_place (10525)
I don't think it would hurt and it would make people think..but what would be fair...I drive a few hundred miles a week...all work related. And probably 30 miles on the average for personal stuff. So if they give me 20 gallons a week..for the most part I would be ok...but if I want to go see my family...I am screwed. I could never save enough gallons to visit them. And then what if I had to start driving more for work? Who is to say that my work driving is more important then the soccer Mom's driving?
@RenaeT (688)
I sure would hate to see it come to that, but it might have to. My husband and I ride to work together, and one of the reasons I'm considering taking this temp job as a perm job is because of that one reason. We are both working at the same college. Rationing . . . wow, that would be so hard!
Rationing is not going to help what is going on in our country with gas prices. The only thing that will help is us making the message loud and clear to our government that we are unhappy with the way they are currently doing things. We can do this by voting,writing letters, and voicing our concerns. Rationing gas will not impact the prices enough to help because I don't believe there is a shortage, rather I think it is another political tactic. Just my opinion, good topic.
It wouldn't bother me at all as since I retired I don't do very much driving. I dont think iit would go over very well as people as not used to anything being rationed in the States
@mari61960 (4895)
I think you're right. It would probably just start a new crime wave of stealing gas coupons...probably not a good thing.
@estherlou (5017)
Rationing would be really bad! How would we get to work if we used up all of our rationed gas allotment? The price of gas itself will cause people with money problems to ration themselves. Developing alternative fuel should be a priority.
Sure. It would never happen. Nations love the greed of the amount they make from importing fuel and then we just pay but it would help to share journeys too. Something else I doubt will happen. (much) ~joey