The Love That Our Parents Gave Us

Most of us are lucky that we grow up in a family with loving parents who cared for us for the rest of their lives. For us, loving them in return and the children that comes into our lives comes easy. Some had been unfortunate not to have awakened to the loving care of their parents. They were gone long before they can even have fond memories of them. Still some more were exposed to the cruelty of their uncaring and irresponsible parents. There are so many reasons which have been pointed out to have caused this in them. For us among here who belong to the second and third categories, we can still give love to the children that shall come into our lives. It is just a matter of choice, to give love or to withhold it. This time, it will be perfect to note that love is the thing that is best being given. This way, we will cultivate love in such a way that we shall reap them in a harvest beyond our expectations. Parental love is something which is irreplaceable. Each one of us who had been loved and unloved by our parents have a novel to tell about this. I know that I love my parents very much but, I believe deep within me that I can never equal their love for me. How about you, how do you feel about how your parents brought you up into this world?
@arsena (293)
My parents were poor but we were/are a family and they supported me and my brother to study even it was extremely difficult for them. No both of us have finished our studies and have good jobs. So I am really thankful to both my parents for that.
it is good that you have parents that have supported you all the way to make sure you get the proper education that you need to have. i understand why you are so grateful to them, it was the same way that my parents sacrificed for us, too.
@Sailor (1161)
You are so correct. It is strange to me that I have met people that hate their parents.
it maybe difficult to understand why children can ever hate their parents, unless we listen to their heart rending stories.
@sunshinecup (7881)
I raise my own children with one basic rule, do the opposite of my parents. My parents never should have met, much more married and had children. They were not in love, they couldn't care past their own noses and they were the most irresponsible people I have ever met. Don't get me wrong, I loved my parents and still do, but they were by no means good ones.
we can always love our parents if we choose to. that is regardless of whether they had been to us or not. it is better for us to let go of our hate, for it is by this way alone that we will be able to give the gift of love to others.
@bluewings (3857)
I've been blessed with loving and caring parents.In my adolescence I wondered if it was parents who influence us more or the books we read while growing up.It was later that I realised that even without books but with love we can grow up into responsible and independent humans.So,obviously parental love plays a vital in shaping who we become.There are some who might be deprived of parental love ,but then love flows from other sources in their lives.Personally,I am grateful to my parents and can't think about repaying a debt that can't be repaid.
i agree with you, bluewings, that the way our parents have loved us is beyond paying back. for their love have really made us who we are now.
@Bujoyseth (1684)
i consider myself as one of the luckiest in this world having parents like my mom and dad... i can't ask for more.. having them as my parents is the most precious gift God has given me... no one could ever take their place in my heart till i die. they're the best parents in the world..
@rinkub (231)
I have been brought up in perhaps the best way one can hope for. Everyone told me that since I was an only child, my parents could and would meet all my demands. On the contrary. I was not a demanding child and you can check that out with my parents! But what I really got was a real loving, secure childhood with lots of relatives and friends around. My father spent a lot of time with me. In fact, my repertoire of knowledge was built with his help. My father influenced my cultural and patriotic leanings to a mighty extent. My mother, I remember, was my friend during my teenage years. Her entire life was dedicated to looking after the family's needs. She's a fantastic cook and I remember the warm, delicious aromas emanating from the kitchen regularly. We went out a lot together, sat together, laughed together. But most importantly, what I really thank them for is the freedom they allowed me in making my choices. They never ever put any kind of pressure on me and really allowed me to chart out my own growth process, allowed me to have a thinking mind and the independence to map my own course in life. But they were always there to support me if I stumbled, attended to my wounds and then let me off again. Today, when I have my own home and am responsible towards others, my parents never give me unsought advice. They had very good habits, my father being a non-smoker and teetotaller, my mother a simple, loving, down-to-earth- woman. My grandparents lived with us, both sides, so I really know what family values are. I feel sad for those people whose parents spent their lives in selfish pursuits of their own happiness, partying, or leaving their partners just because their requirements were not met with, or not spending time with their kids. I guess more than material offerings it is your parents unconditional love, their companionship, their involvement in the children's lives and the value-system maintained in the family, that really determines a child's life in the long run. I've always seen my parents do a lot for each others' families. My parents never passed on their ambitions to me nor did they have any big expectations from me. Even today, whatever little I do for them is accepted lovingly and they thank me and my husband profusely for it. Hope more people get to grow up in a home like mine.
@Sailor (1161)
Many parents do what they feel is right, and it often is, but when they don't pay attention to what the child says, it goes a long way and the children feel neglected.