travelling on the job.

@winterose (39922)
My sister's husband is an electrician. When she was first married and her three children were very young (not even in school yet), her husband took a major contract in James Bay the mega power plant in labrador. The money was good and her husband sent home his pay check to her to cash and do what she had to do with it. But she was so lonesome. He was gone for 1 year. She told him not to take another contract like that again. Even though the money was great, she wanted her husband home with her. My fiance is an accountant and sometimes he has to travel, when he does it is never for more than two weeks at a time. And it is okay with us. Would you take a job that required travelling out of your own state? Would take it if it required being gone for long periods? Would you take it if was just for short periods? How do you feel being married to someone who does?
I don't know how I would feel as it would different and somewhere I haven't been before. So I could only guess :) I would like travelling to much though. ~Joey
When my husband was working construction his job often required him to be gone for various periods of time ranging from a few days to a few weeks. While we didn't like it, we knew we had to live with it. During the times when he would be gone a lot I planned things so that the time he was home he was able to spend with the kids, or his parents, siblings, ect. No big fix-it projects during that time. I have a friend whose husband is gone 3 weeks and is home 1 week, she loves it, says its like a perpetual honeymoon. Must add that they do not have children, so that would make a huge difference.
@jewel76 (2305)
I wouldn't want my husband to have a job where he has to travel, not even for 2 days at a time! Especially when we'll have children. And i wouldn't take a job where i have to travel either.
@whyaskq (7532)
I would not mind a job that require frequent travelling if I am alone without any worries. However, if my travel brings any inconvenience to any family member during the period of my absence, I would not take a job require to travel no matter how attractive the pay is. If I am on a job and there is an urgent need to travel, I try to reject too.
@raydene (9875)
Yes if I was well I would travel for a good job and have in the past. It's not how much time we spend with each other but it is how good a time we have when we are with each other.Hugs
@gabs8513 (48764)
Well when the Kids where little no I would not have but if I was still able to work then now I would but I have to admit not to be away for months though I would not mind a couple of weeks at a time but to be be away that long no I would not want to
@mamasan34 (6521)
I myself would not take a job that required traveling out of state, requires long periods of time to be gone. Mostly because I have a child. My husband is in the military and he was in Afghanistan half of 2005 and 2006 and now he is leaving for Iraq for the rest of 2007 and won't be back until the end of 2008. He just spent thirty days in Louisiana and just got back home a month ago, now he is doing 24 hour duties before he leaves. So, I am accustomed to him being gone frequently. I don't like it though. It breaks my heart that most of our relationship we have spent apart. I don't think the money is that important.He says we need it and at least it is a little compensation for how much he is gone, but I don't care, I just wnat my husband home, but this is his chosen profession to serve his country. As they say, he is married to the Army first then me second. LOL....kinda funny but it is true!