Shoe buying help

@tyc415 (5706)
I have a problem when it comes to buying shoes so I don't unless it is a flip flop type shoe. When I was young my cousin and I were skate boarding. I fell and hurt my foot real bad. I was 500 miles away visiting and my mother was not there for me to run to and I guess my aunt didn't think it was serious enough to take me into town to the doctor(they lived in the country) all she had me do was soak my foot and stay off of it. Ok, like I said I was a kid and wanting to play so I just jumped around on one foot but at times would try to walk on it. I did not keep on complaining to my aunt because I just figured she knew more than I did when it come to injuries. Well, here I am an adult, a mother and a grandmother and still have problems. My left foot is 1/2 shoe size larger than my right foot. Do you know how hard it is to try to find a comfortable shoe? It is impossible. I think someone needs to come up with shoe stores for people who just need one shoe or people who need different size shoes. Any suggestions?
@palonghorn (5486)
WOW, I didn't think you actually knew that other kinds of shoes existed, well unless going barefoot counts. LOL I don't think I ever saw you in anything other than flipflops, of course in S. Texas you can get away with that year round, I can't now! lol Had a friend that had lost a leg due to an accident, when he went to buy shoes he asked the clerk if he got 50% off, he only needed one shoe!
@tyc415 (5706)
Oh yes, I know there are other types of shoes. I see other people wearing them all of the time. I still hate shoes, rather go barefoot. You telling about that person wanting 1/2 off on the shoes, one time I got a mammogram for 1/2 off since I just have the one to do but here in Corpus they don't do that, they want full price. :(
@weemam (13377)
My left foot is a wee bit bigger than my right but I always try on the left she and if it fits thats fine , I don't think it is 1/2 size more though , All I can advise pal is something like the sandals I have , they have velcro straps but are smart and comfortable. I tried to take a piccie for you but the batteries have gone on the camera , I will try again tomorrow when they are charged xx
@hezoid (2148)
I think it's quite common for a lot of people to have one foot a bit bigger than the other. My right foot is a tiny bit bigger than my left, not quite even half a size, but my shoes feel a litle tighter on that foot. I suppose you could get one of those shoe horn things that actually stretch your shoes and stretch the shoe of the foot that's a bit bigger untill it fit? Or maybe buy shoes for you biggest foot size and put insoles or heel grips etc in the shoes of the smaller foot? Not sure if either will work but might be worth a try?
@tyc415 (5706)
I went to the store one day and was looking at some shoes that looked real comfortable that were not just sandles and the lady measured one foot and I ask her to measure the other one also and she said it would not be much different and I said please measure it also and she did and it was ONE complete shoe size different so needless to say after trying on many shoes I left with what I had on. So, I guess it will always be flip flops or that type of sandle for me. I wear a size 8 on right foot and 9 on left foot that was injured.
@musicman6 (2371)
Tyc, you do have a problem, there! The only thing I can think of, is they make a shoe stretcher, I've seen them before! It looks like a wooden foot, you put it in the shoe, and adjust it to where it stretches the shoe bigger! But this is the only thing I can think of at this time! I know your foot must have hurt when you injured it, I myself twisted my ankle in the Army, and I suffered a lot, I know how it feels! Maybe someone on here,may know where to get one, hopefully!
@tyc415 (5706)
Thank you musicman6. I had wondered about the shoe stretchers before but didn't know if it would stretch a shoe that much bigger. Oh yes it did hurt. I only wish it had been my ankle though but it as on the outside of my foot, not all on the side but not all on the top of my foot either. Again I thank you for the response. Have a super good weekend.
@cher913 (25890)
wow, that sounds tough...can you wear running shoes? how about going to a speciality shoe store...one like for orthapedic shoes? good luck and hope you keep us posted on your quest for new shoes...
@tyc415 (5706)
I have tried just about everything. Never even thought about orthopedic shoes, when I hear orthopedic I think of my grandmothers shoes. hahaha If I get a shoe to fit my "bad" foot the other one is too big and I am not going to stuff things in the toe of my shoes and if I get the shoe to fit the "good" foot the other one is way to tight. I need me some good walking shoes. My feet have been abused so much it is getting harder to walk. Our house is brick and sits on concrete slab and that is horrible even with carpet and padding down. Thank you for responding and for the ortho idea. Have a great weekend.