Do your kids go to public school? What about private schools?

@4cuteboys (4103)
Right now my oldest two are in the public school system. Where we live on base it's a very good school and seems very safe. Now if we are still here when my oldest is ready for middle school, I think we are going to put him into a private school or find some other alternative. The middle school that's for our district is so scary. Lots of beatings, and some kids have gotten their hair set on fire. I don't think I can handle that. What about you? Are your kids in private, or public school? Or homeschooled? If you knew the school was unsafe, what would you do?
@KrisNY (7609)
My daughter goes to public school. It is a great school- It is the one I went to as a kid. If I knew the school wasn't safe- and there were beatings and kids getting their hair set o fire- I wouldn't send her there- I would find an alternative! My gosh! that is terrible- Nothing like that happens in this town- knock on wood- there is a private school here in town to- but it only runs through the 5th grade- and then you go to the public school-
@wolves69 (756)
Right now, 3/4 are going to public schools. The fourth is too young. lol We're going to the UK next year, so they'll be in a DoDDs school which is pretty good and still teach the basics and not merely PC versions. If we were still in HI, there is NO way I'd let the kids go to public schools. I don't like the attitude of the teachers, the kids are not learning, but mostly the education is terrible. We'd definitely go into home schooling. As for unsafe schools, I'd been confrontational in the past with school officials. I don't buy their general excuse that their hands are tied, or "I can't". I know its difficult, but they have a responsibility to teach in a "safe" environment. Else, its time for them to get another job (note: I didn't say profession--to those its a job nothing more).
@4cuteboys (4103)
HI, is that hawaii? Just curious as we were trying to get orders there. I have heard most DOD schools are great. I totally agree, school is supposed to be safe and it has to be everyone's responsibility that works at those schools.
My kids are in private school. I love their school and am much more at ease with it than any public school. If private school weren't an option, I'd be homeschooling.
@speedy1279 (2670)
As of right now my stepson is the only one in school and he goes to a public school. My son will start prek in the fall and will be going to a day care for it, then will go to public school when he starts kindergarten. My daughter will also go to public school when she is old enough. Me personally think private schools are overated. People say the they are better because your kids turn out better, plus get a better education. Now they might get a better education with smaller class sizes, but I don't see how that could make them better kids personality wise. I have been around kids that have gone to private school and some of them get into trouble just as much as kids that go to public school. I think alot of the way kids are is a direct result of thier parents and how involved the parents are in thier kids lives. Nowadays there are too many parents that just don't give a crap about thier kids and what thier kids do. They are the ones that get into trouble all the time regarless as to weather they are in public school or private school.
@rapolu_cs (1184)
My kid is too small for schooling and we have lot of time to think about this and i think it is better o join the kids in the private wher the faculty will take care of our youngones with more care wher in the public this lacks due to high percentage of the kids in one section to the other.
@Michele21 (3095)
My daughter is in public school and I think it is great!! I was raised in private schools and didn't get the best education, or experiences. I wouldn't suggest it just based on my own experiences. I always went to small schools so I didn't have many friends, no sports teams or anything. Just school...I prefer public schools where the kids have alot of options on what to do, extracurricular activities I mean. The schools here are really great though, nothing really bad ever happens. But my hubby is in the military so if we move somewhere that had schools that were bad I don't know what I would do. I wouldn't want my kids hair caught on fire!! That is terrible!
@meljessxena (2319)
i went to a private school for first 5 years then we moved towns and i went to a public and my mum realised i probably should of went through public all along as because where we live public schooling is fairly safe as well the only thing is all my brothers and sister went through prive (some did public in high school) i dont think anything wrong with public, private is way to expensive, my niece and nephew go to private their mum pays $4000 per term per child.
@KissThis (3008)
All 3 of my children go to one form or another of public school. Last year when I was looking to buy a house I made sure that I knew what the public school system was like. I didn't want one that was unsafe or low in the rating system. It took some time but we found a school that worked for us. There is no way that I would send any of my children in to a school that wasn't safe for them. I would rather home school them then to place them in danger.
@natalie1981 (2002)
Me and my seven siblings all went to private schools. I think public schools here in my country has a very low teaching standards that's why most people who can afford it, put their children to private school. If the school is pretty unsafe, yes, that would deter me from letting my children go there.
@steney (1418)
My daughter is enrolled in a private school. the current public school system here in my country is not very much of high quality standard that I wish to provide my child. Although some public high schools and university offers quality education, it's not the same for preparatory or elementary education. I feel more secured in the school she's now in with only a limit of 10 students per class, and each child can be guided by the teacher. Public schools have as much as 40 students in a class. It's hard to give quality education with that number, as other students who tend to be slow usually suffers. As far as safety is concerned, if I knew the school isn't safe, I would never put my child there. It's always better to be safe than sorry.