Do you groom your dog or take them to a groomer?

My son, which is studying to become a vet, and I shaved (sheared) our 11 year old Chow today!! We had not done this in a few years. I did the holding and my son did the shearing. There was 3 pounds of hair that we sheared off her. She is black so you can imagine how hot she would get. It took us over an hour to get her done. When we got done, she went under the house and hasn't came out yet.LOL I think she feels embarrassed. LOL But I know she feels so much better. Do you groom your pets or take them to the groomers?
@terri0824 (4975)
My taco bell dog doesn't need grooming. She is also about 11 years old.
@terri0824 (4975)
Yes, that is the type of dog it is, I figured I would butcher the spelling, and everyone knows what a taco bell dog looks like. That is something how your dog took your asthma from you. Never heard of that before.
@abbey19 (3129)
• Gold Coast, Australia
We have two dogs, a shih tzu and a lhasa apso and we usually take them to the groomers, but it is getting so expnesive now, that I've started doing them myself. I don't make as good a job as the groomers, but they look ok and are quite happy for me to do it. My back aches doing it though, so I don't know if I will do them myself for much longer. Guess I'll have to pay the prices they are asking and get over it! Good luck to your son in his studies to become a vet - it must be a very rewarding career. Has your chow come out from under the house yet, lol!
Yes, she finally came out from under the house late last night. She has ventured out once today. She looks good but I know she feels different. Talking about back hurts! Yes, mine is so sore today and I know my son is sore from all the funny positions he had to get into to get under her to shear her. Thanks for posting.
@Sherry12 (2475)
Well, my x-daughter-in-law always used to groom our dog. I don't really know what we will do now that she is an X and doesn't live in town. This summer his hair isn't long enough to worry about, but we will have to do something next year.
yes, by next year you will have to figure out what to do. Thanks for posting.
@piasabird (1737)
It sounds like your son has chosen a fun ocupation. I have my son's toy poodle here and I usually cut her hair. It's not as nice as if it would be if a professional did it. I just can't afford to pay someone right now. I think I do a pretty good job and she doesn't try to hide afterward. She's either pleased with the cut or she's just not smart enough to know any better!
LOL! Yes, it is so expensive and we certainly couldn't afford to go to a groomer. I am sure your toy poodle is very pleased with it's hair cuts. Thanks for your response.
@PsychoDude (2018)
• Netherlands
We take our dog to the groomer, he's quite big so doing it takes about 3~4 hours to finish off; rather give that out of hands than doing it ourselves.
Yes, I know our Chow is large and she took quite a while but we finally found a great pair of shearers that worked much better. Thanks for responding.