The Butchart Gardens - a bit of paradise on earth

@ElicBxn (60016)
In 1973 I wanted to take a road trip to the northwest to see if I'd like to live there. My parents decided that a trip up there, where we had never been might not be a bad idea so they packed me & my sister up and we flew to San Francisco. After a few days, dad rented a car & we drove up the west coast, going inland to see Crater Lake (the only National Park that surpassed itself in beauty) and up to catch a ferry over to Victoria B.C. We saw various things in Victoria, but what took my breath away were the Butchart Gardens. I had NEVER seen anything so beautiful. I love sunken & oriental gardens and these were the best I have ever seen. The rose & the Italian gardens are very nice, but nothing compares with the other 2. If you ever get to Victoria B.C. your trip is not complete without a visit to the Gardens. I returned in the mid-1990's and they were just as spectacular then! http://www.butchartgardens.com/main.php
@addysmum (1225)
I am from Vancouver Island however I am not one of these Islanders that takes for granted the beauty of the place I live. I was born and raised here in the Cowichan Valley a beautiful place with beautiful people and towns. I moved to Victoria area in my early twenties and it is the single most beautiful place I have ever seen or been graced with the good luck to live in. Everything about Victoria area is beautiful the buildings, the nature, the people. North Island is nice to, I used to camp all over the north island every summer. My husband and I moved to Calgary for 5 years and I was shocked to see the loss of heritage and historical sites for progress. The people of BC are dedicated to preserving the beauty of our heritage and land. I am pleased to say we are home on the Island again to raise our children in the place we love. A shameless plug of my home town. Look up Chemainus, a great place with lots of history and beauty.
@ElicBxn (60016)
You probably live in one of the most hospitable places on Earth. Maybe the only draw back might be the land/housing prices, and I'm not sure about that.
@addysmum (1225)
Thank you. Vancouver Island is a great place to live, something you don't really realize until you leave and then come back. The cost of housing is not that bad, coming from Calgary where people are paying $400,000 for a 1200 square foot fixer upper, I was happy to pay half that for my place. I hope you can get back here and enjoy the rest of what this Island has to offer. If you would like some information about places I would be glad to give you what I know about my home. Another beautiful place to visit is up in the Gold River area if you like to camp and by out in the wilderness that is the place to do it.
@Woodpigeon (3710)
I was there in the late 1980's, I think it was. What a fun trip! I wonder if by any chance you saw the national History Museum? I can't remember exactly where it was, but I think it was in Vancouver. It was wherever Stanley Park is, anyhow, because I remember going from one to the other.
@ElicBxn (60016)
I'm sure we went there. I can't see us missing any history museums - EVER. My dad was as big a history buff as I am, but you know I can't remember.
@hookfan (447)
I was born in Canada and travelled quite extensively. I agree that this is definitely a place to see :) I was always impressed with the many a various public gardens over there and am even more pleased with the ones I see in the UK.
@pyewacket (43962)
OMG--those gardens are absolutely breathtaking....if ever I go there, all I can say is that I'll have to have a lot of film for my camera...I would have a field day..as something like that is right up my ally--thank you for sharing that--I've bookmarked that page to come back to it
@gberlin (3836)
I have not seen them in person but I have seen pictures of them and they are beautiful. I have been to Crater Lake several times. I live in Oregon for 3 years and we were about an hour and a half from Crater Lake. It also is truly beautiful. I would be delighted to live there year round.
@winterose (39931)
I am from here in montreal quebec, I would love to see british columbia as much as I can. I have a friend in victoria and another one in smithers up in the mountain.
@joyce959 (1563)
I was in Canada (April 6 to May 6) for one month tour/ holiday. After 2 weeks-stay with my sister in a city near Montreal, my dad and I went and stayed with my brother for 2 weeks in British Columbia. We went to Victoria by car and ferry on April 29 from Vancouver. We took ferry at Tsawwassen Bay Ferry Terminal that took us to the Schwartz Bay Terminal and from there we went by car (Patricia Bay Highway or Hiway 17) to downtown Victoria. My brother wanted to go to The Butchart Gardens as we course through along the Hi-way 17 before we go to downtown Victoria but we missed the road leading to it (Keating Cross Road to Benvenuto Ave) and so we just proceeded first to see downtown Victoria,and we said we will go see The Butchart Gardens on our way back to the Schwartz Bay BC ferry terminal bound for returning back to Vancouver. So we stayed at Beacon Hill Park for an hour and had our lunch there. Beacon Hill park has also beautiful garden. We saw the BC Legislative Buildings, Royal BC Museum, Fairmont Empress Hotel, and roam around the surrounding areas. On our way back to Schwartz Bay Ferry Terminal, we pass along the Keating Cross Road leading to the Butchart Gardens. We arrived at the entrance around 5:10pm and it was already closed; they close at 5pm! We missed it! It was really sad that we were not able to see the beautiful garden and beautiful flowering plants and trees inside. That is one that I missed in our travel to Victoria. Surely, I will definitely go the The Butchart Gardens if ever i'll get a chance to travel back to Canada and Victoria again. The scenery and the flowers are so beautiful in pictures...what more if I can see them personally.