why do most of the children HATES veggies?

@Bujoyseth (1684)
i myself when i was a child, i hate veggies too.. though i know and my mother always tells me that it's very good in my health. but i always resist eating it.. i remember one time when i'm in my elementary grade.. i refused to eat "pakbet", it's one of our most delicious and known food served here in the Philippines, especially here in Zambales.it consist of different kinds of veggies which i hate most. my mother insisted it to me till i end up crying.. funny, right? now, i'm enjoying eating veggies, i love eating veggies right now and i'm 27, married and have two kids. the problem is, i'm experiencing what my mother and i have experienced exactly when i was a child..
When a child is around 2 years old their palate changes and they are able to taste more bitter tastes than they were before. It is around this age that they start to dislike vegetables. I find the best way is to try lots of different ways of cooking them, hide the in sauces, put them in stir frys, stews, pies etc. You will surprise your children when you tell them afterwards what they have been eating.
@Bujoyseth (1684)
wow! you know a lot better than me... thank you for that.. i'll try what you've said.. hehehe
@Manoj_s (939)
it is better to try fruits first t o the child before going for those food which has been prepared by us ,children are more natural means they like natural things .give them fruits if you startedto give them those cooked refined foods they will insisst on after that coz they have got taste of that now the other food wont taste to them .telling health benefits dont benefit to children .so better start at the time of early stages will work.
@Bujoyseth (1684)
yes.. you're right! and that's what i'm doing roght now...
@pelo26 (1553)
I love vegetables, even when I was a kid. The only vegetable that took time for me to like is ampalaya because of its bitter taste. Kids generally dislike bitter tasting vegetables but sooner or later they grow to overcome it. Now, ampalaya is one of my favorite vegetable.
@Bujoyseth (1684)
good for you! but in my case.. i really hated veggies until i decided to taste it and started wanting it.. that was when i'm in my secondary already..and now.. i'm enjoying eating a lot.. hehehe..
@judyt00 (3504)
kids are born liking only a few tastes, mostly sweet and salty but never bitter or sour, which most vegies contain. The liking for other tastes is acquired throughout life, and by trial and error. You like different tastes now, because you have tried them and found them palatable.
@Bujoyseth (1684)
yes. you're right. i've proven that myself... i'm one of those kids who didn't like veggies but now, i love it.. and the same way with my child right now... he doesn't like eating veggies.. maybe sometime in the future when get a little older, he'll get to learn eating veggies is good... thanks for the response... happy posting!
@maehan (1445)
Ha ha ha, my children hate veg too, until they are four. I do not know why out of sudden they told me veg is nice. Now, I have no problem like what I used to previously. Honestly, I personally not a veg person. I eat just becuase it is good for health. I can understand why kids hate it. It taste like raw and leafy kinda weird. They are not as tasty as meat/fish, that's why. But, I still eat it.
@Bujoyseth (1684)
oh.. good for you.. that's nice. atleast they're now eating veggies unlike my kid, he's 3 years old and yet, he hates veggies till now... maybe when he gets a little bit older.. how i wish...hehehe...
@maehan (1445)
No worry, he will gradually.
@mememama (3077)
My son loves veggies, I always include a vegetable with his lunch and dinner. I think if a child isn't exposed to vegetables, he won't like them at all. I was told my niece didn't like veggies, I cooked her dinner, set a big bowl of peas out-guess what? She almost ate the whole bowl!
@Bujoyseth (1684)
you have a point there..
@deebomb (15347)
The thing that make kids hate vegetables is the way we present them to the kids. We give them things like desserts and when they ask for more we tell them no it’s not good for them. Then we give them veggies and say eat these they are good for you. Now which would you chose. Now which would you chose those that taste good or those that are good for you but you think taste bad because they are good for you? I think what you have to do is stop telling the child that the veggies are good for them and just tell them that they are just good.