Do You Give Your Children Incentives To Accomplish Things?

I remember when I was in High School I had to ride the bus to get to school. One day mom and I and my brothers and sisters were told that mom wanted to talk to us altogether. When we were all gathered she told us she had a propostion for us. We all got very quiet and paid close attention to what she was about to say. She told us that if we wanted to walk to school that we would be allowed to keep the bus money she gave us for the bus. She asked us what we thought about it and we loved the idea. From that day on most days I walked. I enjoyed pocketing the money and saving it up for things I wanted to buy. This has stuck in my mind and I got to wandering if other parents give their kids incentives to do things.
@tmlnmr (1850)
Yes I did proposition my children when I needed them to do something and they didn't want to. It works as long as the kids don't catch on and start pretending they are doing the wrong thing just so they get xx for not doing it anymore. Then again is this considered a bribe? and should we be teaching our children to take or give bribes? Hhhmmm I smell another discussion comming on!
Cute response and a smile came to my face. No a bribe and a incentive are two different things. A incentive is something you reward your child with for encouraging them to do something. As funny as this sounds when I worked in the child care center I gave incentives to children I was potty training. I had a bowl of m&m's sitting on the shelf in the bathroom and I would sit the child down and talk with them about them using the potty. Explaining to them that when they used the potty they would get a m&m. Now right or wrong this worked everytime. The kids were excited about it and the parents incorporated this at home. I don't call this a bribe. It is simply a way to let the child know you are proud of them succeeding and wish to give them something to show your pride.
@suscan (1956)
When my son wa young I would give him rewards for jobs well done ,and extra things he did. My parents did the same when we were younger
@gberlin (3836)
My parents had 6 kids. We did not get incentives to do things. We did things around the house like clean our rooms, clean bathrooms, wash dishes, vacuum because we all shared the house and we should all share in keeping it clean. This also including mowing the lawn and shoveling snow off the driveway. Most of the time I did not mind doing these things because all my brothers and sisters were doing them also. If I wanted money to spend then I got a job. When I was too young to be employed by anyone I collected pop bottles and returned them to the store for money. When I got older I had a newspaper route and mowed lawns. At 15 I got my first real job working in landscaping. From then on I have always had a job.
@gabs8513 (48715)
Yes I used to give them Jobs to do and then I would give them money and they used to love it the only thing was lol when it was close to my Birthday they used to save the bit of money to be me a little something lol
@winterose (39918)
I can't remember if I did, oh yes I did, my son did get money if he cleaned up, that included things he would not have normally done, like wash the dishes or sweep the floors for me.
@laltu86 (1253)
Now i am a college goer so i get a good amount as a pocket money , but back at schools i wasnt allowed much money , a few bucks which i got i saved to get pens i had a obsessions with pens back then.
When my daughter was young I used to do that. Now I give them to my self wen I need to do something I don't feel like doing. Although I think incentive is just a nice way of saying blackmail...LOL