Who is your favorite artist?

Is your artist someone from the past? A current artist? A friend of yours? Can you narrow it down to just one or do you have many you like a lot. I have many, to be honest. Some from the past (like M.C. Escher) and some from today (like Sabrina Ward Harrison).
@hcromer (2712)
I like Rion Vernon who does the pin-up cartoons and also Olivia De Berardinis who does pin-up stuff (but hers is a lot more like Vargas). I also just head of another artist that I'm really into named Lori Earley.
@hcromer (2712)
Wow, I can't believe I almost forgot all about graffiti artist Fafi!
You've certainly piqued my interest and I will be researching these artists. I love picking apart what they create, who they are and researching their process. Do you research artists for particular projects or do you discover them as you surf around?
I love Botticelli (Italian Renaissance), Dali, Van Gogh, and Miro. I also like Waterhouse (pre-Raphelite). Modern artists that I like are Elivs Luna ( http://www.redcloudindianarts.com/e-luna.htm ), Michael Godard ( http://www.discoverygalleries.com/ArtistSlideShow.asp?image_id=3275&artist_id=213&category_id=2 ), Larry Carlson ( http://www.larrycarlson.com/digital_images/pages/0_1_2004_01_larrycarlson.htm ) Jasmine Becket- Griffith ( http://www.strangeling.com/alicefalling.html ), Gregory Crewdson (http://www.artnet.com/artist/4589/gregory-crewdson.html ) and Gilad (http://gilad.deviantart.com/gallery/ )
These links are excellent! My minor in college was supposed to be art, so seeing new links and learning about artists unknown to me is of great interest. Researching their styles, techniques and inspirations has really kept me driven for quite some time. Did you discover these artists based on research you were performing for a project? Through a gallery exhibit? Discovery is just as exciting as the actual learning process for me.
I love Botticelli. I'm majoring in Art History with a focus on the Italian Renaissance. His "Primavera" has always been one of my favorites. I know about Dali through the Dali Museum in my city. Van Gogh and Miro I learned about in my 4th grade art class. Waterhouse I found on the internet when I was 17. There is a gallery (well, there's a lot of them) where I live called Red Cloud Indian Arts and I happened to wander in and see some of Elvis Luna's rain forest psychodelic mythology art. I had the chance to meet him at an opening but I ended up getting sick. The owners told me so many cool things about him. His paintings are amazing in person. Michael Godard I saw at a gallery when I was in Gattlinburg, TN. I love his painting "Lounge Lizard" the effects are just really nice with that dark background and neon paint. Larry Carlson - my boyfriend stumbled upon one of his websites which is pretty trippy. Then when we were in NYC we came upon his wife at an art show and ended up buying two of his peices. Jasmine Becket-Griffith I saw on ebay when I was checking out the art prices. I fell in love with her Alice paintings. Gregory Crewdson my brother told me about. I got a book of his photography called "Twilight" for Christmas one year. Gilad is someone my boyfriend discovered on deviantart.com. We spend a lot of time looking at art on deviant. I like the way Gilad sees the world, and I like the poems or stories he also puts with his photos.
@inked4life (4227)
Our favorite artist is a Canadian painter called Paul Van Ginkel. He does a lot of paintings of native americans and we have a number of his pices throughout the house (he was actually nice enough to give us one as a wedding present). I also like H.R. Giger's work and a lot of the new Photoshop artists that are springing up, particularly Bert Montroy who does theater marquees, all digital art.
I haven't heard of Paul Van Ginkel, but I will definately look him up. I love that you've taken such a personal interest in his creations and that you were lucky enough to receive a piece as a wedding gift! What an opportunity!
@missak (3311)
• Spain
I think it could be Pablo Picasso, or Wilfredo Lam, or Miles Davis, or Michael Brecker. Her you have a work of mine inspired on Escher.
@missak (3311)
• Spain
Sorry the image didn't load correctly...
@missak (3311)
• Spain
Escher inspired mdules-mother and child. - Inspired on Escher great work.
I hope it loads now at last!
@missak (3311)
• Spain
Yes, it loaded. I hope you like it.
@buenavida (8014)
• Sweden
I like the paintings of Carl Larsson, a swedish artist who lived about 100 years ago. He has made a lot of paintings from his home and family and his children and their friends. He has painted many interior pictures and people are still inspired by rooms that he and his wife planned. I guess you find him by making a search with his name.
I feel inspired just from reading this post and I will most definately be searching for images this artist has available online. I love learning about new artists! One day, I'd love to create prints from all of the artists that continue to inspire me.
Vincent Van Gogh will probably always be my favorite artist. He was such a troubled man, but painted beautiful paintings. I can't believe that he only sold one while he was alive. We have 2 prints of The Starry Night in our house.
@5000ml (1923)
• Belgium
I have many favourite artists, all are from the past: Hieronymus Bosch, Vincent van Gogh, Pablo Picasso, Salvador Dalí, Pierre-Auguste Renoir, Rembrandt, Gustav Klimt, René Magritte, Artemisia Gentileschi, John Everett Millais, M.C. Escher. Lots, as you can see :)
@slaveeva (213)
I absolutely adore : Oliva, Boris, Brom, Grieger, Frazetta