The Cat In The Bag

Footie in my handbag - one of my cats in my handbag
@pyewacket (44032)
I just had to share this with you as I thought this was such a wonderful story...mid-way through it I began to cry...and by the end I was still crying It's called The Cat In The Bag...and you can see the original place it was posted on here http://www.beliefnet.com/nllp/ChickenSoupSoul.aspx?date=5-25-2007&WT.mc_id=NL49 THE CAT IN THE BAG By Arnold Fine Aunt Faye and her cat Sophie were inseparable. In fact, though Aunt Faye never had any children, Sophie was like a child to her. I have to admit that the cat was amazing. Sophie always knew when Aunt Faye wasn't feeling well. In fact, Sophie even knew when Aunt Faye's feet were cold at night. Because that cat would snuggle up at her feet in bed, Aunt Faye used to call Sophie her "bed warmer." My aunt was sort of hard of hearing, so when anyone came to the door of her apartment, Sophie ran to the door to alert her. Good old Sophie the cat was getting on in years. My aunt would call me from time to time to ask me to drive Sophie and her to the veterinarian. In fact, I think she took better care of Sophie than herself. If Aunt Faye didn't feel well, she wouldn't go to the doctor; she would just take an aspirin. But should Sophie sneeze or cough with a hairball in her throat, we were on our way to the vet almost immediately. So it came as a bit of a shock when Aunt Faye called me crying hysterically. "Sophie is dead! My little Sophie is dead!"Between sobs, Aunt Faye explained. "You know I don't sleep so good at night. So the doctor gave me some sleeping pills. I didn't like the way they smelled so he told me to put a drop of vanilla extract into the bottle to make the pills taste like candy. So this morning when I was cooking in the kitchen, Sophie got into my bedroom and accidentally knocked over my bottle of sleeping pills. They must have smelled good to her because she ate almost every last one of them. The empty bottle was on the floor next to her."Aunt Faye was still crying uncontrollably. "You know how long my Sophie and I have been together?" Not even waiting for my answer she said, "We've been together for twelve years. Yesterday, I even bought her a new cat food. They said this cat food was softer for older cats . . . her teeth have started to fall out like mine. Do you know how much Sophie meant to me?"I sympathized with her."Now what can I do?" she sobbed."Look Aunt Faye, there isn't much you can do. Put Sophie's body in a paper bag, and place it in the garbage can in the basement. The sanitation department will take her away.""What?" she screamed. "My Sophie in a garbage can? She was like my child. Since your uncle passed away, she's been my closest friend for all these years. I can't just put her in the garbage!""Okay," I said. "I'm working very late tonight so I won't be able to get over to your house. However, if you'll feel better about it, take a taxi to your veterinarian and ask him to have Sophie taken to the animal cemetery. I'll provide the money for the plot and the burial."The tears continued. "Will I be able to visit her from time to time?""Sure. I'll take you to the pet cemetery any time you want to go.""How can I take Sophie to the vet? Her carrying case fell apart a few years ago.""Put her in your old suitcase. It's not too big and Sophie will fit perfectly.""Will there be a funeral?""No, dear. The vet calls the people from the pet cemetery. They'll put Sophie in a little casket and take her to the cemetery.""Okay," she muttered with a broken heart. "It will be dignified?" she asked."Yes, it will," I said. That was it. I felt bad for her, but there was nothing more I could do. About six o'clock that evening, Aunt Faye called me at my office. "Arnold, I have something to tell you." Strangely, I sensed excitement in her voice."What now?" I asked. "Did you go to the vet?""I did just like you said. I put Sophie in my suitcase. I was standing by the bus stop waiting for a cab, so I figured, why spend money for a taxi when I could certainly take the bus? So I put the suitcase down next to me and started to look into my purse to see if I had the exact change. While I was looking in my pocketbook, some teenage boys came up behind me. One threw me to the ground and grabbed my suitcase with Sophie inside!""Oh no, Aunt Faye! Did you get hurt?""Just a few scratches. Nothing serious. I yelled for the police, but nobody came. So what could I do? I figured this was the way my relationship with Sophie was supposed to end. So I went home.""I don't believe this!" I said, trying to hold back my laughter. "Can you imagine the expression on those kids' faces when they opened the suitcase and found a dead cat?"She started to laugh. Aunt Faye was actually laughing!"Wait, wait - that's only part of the story. Sophie came home! She really wasn't dead! I only thought she was dead because she was lying so still when I found her in the bathroom this morning. Being jostled back and forth in that suitcase must have finally roused her. When I got back to the house, she was waiting at my door!"Arnold, thank you for all your help. I prayed for Sophie to enter heaven, and she came back to me."The next time I went to visit Aunt Faye, she had a little sign on her front door that read, "This is heaven." I just had to share this with you folks--and the photo I have here, is one of my own of one of my cats, named Footie..it was the closest I could get to illustrate this story
@Katlady2 (9921)
As I was reading, I was gearing up for a big ol' tearfest, and then I got to the end. I so wasn't expecting a happy ending at all. That is such an awesome story. And the picture of Footie is adorable.
@pyewacket (44032)
Most of those stories they have related to the Chicken Soup for the Soul are fantastic...they actually have one for the "Cat Lover's Soul" And Footoe was named Footie because he was one of those cats with the "extra" toes
@ElicBxn (60692)
That's very sweet - thanks.
@pyewacket (44032)
You're most welcomed
@ElicBxn (60692)
Gee, funny about that, 7 out of 8 of your respondents have a cat as their avatar - as do you!
@pyewacket (44032)
mmmm..just noticed that now myself...there are a lot of cat lovers here--but then there's that saying--cats rule, dogs drool..LOL
@susieq223 (3742)
Oh, that was a good one! Thanks for sharing that! It certainly fits the mold for a "Chicken Soup for the Soul" type of story.
@pyewacket (44032)
I love the Chicken soup for the Soul books too...a lot of those stories are so bittersweet
aww..:) i would have loved to see the kid's faces too. sophie must have been raring to go when they opened it LOL that's exactly why i make sure all the pills are in the cabinets though.
@pyewacket (44032)
I would have loved to have seen the expression on the kid's faces too--
@Bev1986 (1428)
ahhh, what a story! I bet she was glad to see that cat back! They are our babies, aren't they! My pets are very important to me... I have a dog and two cats and love them all dearly!
@pyewacket (44032)
Yes I have two babies of my own--they're my "kids"
@gabs8513 (48764)
Thank you for sharing it I really enjoyed reading this and yes it choked me up to I really felt for the poor Lady as I know how I would feel if anything happened to my Gissi This is such a lovely and heart warming Story
@pyewacket (44032)
I love reading your stories about Gissi---maybe you should combine and compile the stories and write a book! Wouldn't that be a nice tribute to Gissi!
@gabs8513 (48764)
Actually Sweetie that is already in thought lol when I have wrote this one Life with Gissi it will be called
@pyewacket (44032)
Would love to read it...you do so many wonderful stories here...so let us know when it's published...I'll be looking for it
@byfaithonly (10716)
Oh that is too funny - I was crying until it got to the boys pushing her down, I just knew there had to be something good happen to this lady after all she'd been through.
@pyewacket (44032)
I just ordered through inter-libray loan the Chicken Soup for The Cat Lovers Soul as I'm dying to read it--those stories are always great
@byfaithonly (10716)
Oh I hadn't heard of this Chicken Soup book I'll have to watch for it - a book store in town I shop at frequently has a ton of the others.
@jazgottt (1181)
• Poland
This story is so touching, that I had a little tear in my eye when I completed reading it. Besides, picture of Footie is great:)
@pyewacket (44032)
It is a nice touching story---