When does a child become an adult?

Janesville, Wisconsin
With so many countries, backrounds and cultures on here. I thought this question would share some interesting and enlightening answers. When does a child become an adult? When do they become autonomous or indepedant? - DNatureofDTrain
@archer1811 (1099)
As long as that child reach his adolescence period that time he/she can be treated as adult..adolescense period usually at age of 18 for girls and 21 for boys if i am not mistaken. I think an adult become independent once this individual have their source of income to support his/her daily life needs..
• Janesville, Wisconsin
Your last line is very very true. I was taught men take longer to complete their growth and maturity as well.. when in school. The laws here make people an adult at age 18 in Wisconsin USA... but they can be tried in court as an adult at age 17. Which to me does not make sense... Well thanks for sharing, - DNatureofDTrain
@jolope (988)
hmm..biologically speaking, a person stops adolescence at the age of 18 and the body become more mature..but when it comes to adulthood as it is, like with your decisions and personality.. it really depends upon the person..i mean, if they want to stay childish, we cant do anything about that rather than tell them to act their age..same with those who want to mature and be more responsible about their actions and words.. so i must say that there really is no exact age when it comes to being mature as a whole person. its upon your will or maybe your environment, even the events that happen in one's life can make a person mature enough to handle the inevitable thing called life..^_^
• Janesville, Wisconsin
Yes, very true. Thank You, for responding. One reason I asked this question is I know many different countries, cultures, and area have different ages they see as being as an adult, and sometimes it is based on life expectancy of the culture as well. - DNatureofDTrain