May 28, 2007 5:37pm CST
My son pointed out that toothpaste is actually dangerous. I thought he was joking and trying to get out of brushing his teeth, so I headed for the bathroom and read the tube. Sure enough it says (paraphrased of course) if you swallow more than used to brush teeth seek medical attention or call poison control center immediately. Over reacting of course but I can't believe I actually have to worry about my children being poisoned by toothpaste! So does anyone know any way to brush your teeth without using this stuff that can cause you to be poisoned?
6 people like this
• Sri Lanka
29 May 07
I have been brushing my teeth for the past 50 years and never imagined of getting poisoned by toothpaste. We don't eat it anyway. However it is a known fact that fluoride should not be taken in large quantities. In Sri Lanka the natural water contains fluoride in some areas, and in these areas the people have decayed teeth. This is what too much fluoride does.
• United States
19 Jun 07
It's the fluoride that is dangerous. Although in small amounts it does prevent tooth decay, over exposure causes a host of problems including rotting teeth. I switched to Tom's of Maine about a year ago after reading several articles on the over use of fluoride. They have several flavors without fluoride and you'll probably like one of them at least. If you live in an area that treats the water with fluoride, imo you are getting enough to prevent tooth decay, having it in your toothpaste to is potentially too much exposure. Oh & NEVER buy tooth paste at "dollar stores". Those versions, even though the are recognizable names are intended for sale overseas-where there isn't fluoride in the water. The levels in those tooth pastes far exceed the safe limits established for the US.