How Many Business Owners/Entrepreneurs Do We Have On Here?

Do you own a business or work independently as a contractor and what do you do? What drove you to go into business for yourself? Is it a lifelong dream or something created out of necessity? I have been working for several years toward developing my own publishing and merchandising company off the ground, which is my dream. It's taken a lot longer to get going than I originally planned and it's taken a number of twists and turns from the original idea but I like where it's headed now. So, tell me about your business...
@thinksf (152)
I'm a bit late on this, but I thought I'd reply anyways. I am an entrepreneur with quite an unusual business. I make medical prosthetics for men to urinate standing up who cannot otherwise do so. My website is www.standinstyle.com. It just opened on August 31, and I've done over a grand in orders.
That is a unique business but obviously one that is needed by men in that situation. I have two businesses. One is my Crash Maps which I do computerized diagrams of auto accidents and offer subrogation services for small businesses with commercial vehicles. The web address on that is www.crashmapsusa.com. If you have a chance, please check it out. I have to get back to work so I'll have to talk later...
@coolseeds (3925)
I own a landscaping company. I started it because it is what I want to do. Lets face it, no one is going to get rich working for someone else. They might be able to get rich but not as rich as the guy who is making money off of their work. I am too greedy to let someone sit on the rear end all day while I do all of the work and they live in a nice house and have more money than I. That is ridiculous. The last job that I had was 4 years ago. I was a supervisor and did payroll, bookkeeping and built the programs that were used to do it. The owner lied to me once and I quit. They finished the year and sold the company.
I tend to agree. My father was an entrepreneur and my sister is in business for herself. Both my sister and I have it in our blood. I hate working for other people. Even though I've done it off and on over the years, most of the time I've worked for myself or as an independent contractor. Not only do I prefer making more money but I prefer the freedom of controlling my own time. I have to admit that in some ways that is more important to me than anything. The money is definitely important but I like the freedom to make my own choices and my own schedule. Since you have a landscaping company, I may have an idea for you on promoting your business if you're interested. If so, request to be my friend and I'll email you.