Sleeping bags, air matress or cots....?

When we go camping, we usually go into the North Georgia mountains, so even in the Summer it gets pretty cool at night. We always take several blankets and comforters to spread on the ground (to use as a mattress) then we put our sleeping bags on top. When we go cold weather camping, we take an extra blanket to put over the sleeping bags. A year or so ago we went with some friends who took an air mattress and they just about froze, I'm guessing the air in it got cold too. So they decided to sleep in the car. We stayed fairly warm with all of our blankets, and packing all of our blankets didn't take as long as getting the air mattress packed. When you go camping to you prefer to sleep on a cot, on an air mattress or in a sleeping bag?
@lightningMD (5932)
when we go tent camping i first lay down a plastic shower curtain on the tent floor as dampness barrier. Then I use two of those heavying moving blankets like furniture movers use. Then I put down our sleeping bags. I also take a sheet incase it is to warm for me inside my bag.
@tammyr (5956)
• Etowah, Tennessee
We bought water floats to sleep on. You know the inflatable kind. They were useful for the water and the tent. We could have gotten bigger ones, but they only had one kind, after one night on the ground with blankets we took a trip to town for ice and the floats!LOL Next time I will be taking the air mattress and pump!LOL
@kelly60 (4548)
When my kids and I go camping we take sleeping bags and blankets. Sometimes we also bring along an air mattress, but not always. If it isn't too cold, the extra blankets go under the sleeping bags for a little extra cushioning, but if it gets chilly, it is nice to have them along for some extra warmth.
On the occasions that I do go camping with the whole family, I have to tug along an air mattress, I have a thermal sleeping bag that keeps the cold air of my bones and skin. I prefer to send them off camping with out me anymore, but "they" sometimes still make me go. I guess I am getting at be a wuss in my old age, but I tend to like the creature comforts of a vacation that does not require Tylenol and Advil every 4 hours.
@whyaskq (7532)
I would have sleeping bags plus blankets and comforters, if possible. However, in event of cold weather, instead of putting the sleeping bags on top of the blankets and comforters, I would cover myself with blanket and sleep in the sleeping bag.
It's been a long time since I went camping but I prefer a cot and a sleeping bag on top of the cot.
@Willowlady (10666)
We go once a year to a swap meet/flea market and take cots and then use our sleeping bags on top of that. The ground can be real uncomfortable so the cot is best. Also take some extra blankets and pillows. I guess we are not roughing it so much. For five days though getting sleep is what keeps you fresher and able to enjoy things.